Posted by: ic-it (---.tbcn.telia.com)
Date: November 21, 2015 10:41PM

System: Win7 SP1, 64 bit
WAMP-Server version: 2,5, 64 bit
Apache version: 2.4.9
MySQL version: 5.6.17
PHP version: 5.5.16

WampServer icon color: Green

I have WAMP located at D: (for several good reasons).
It works fine except for one thing: When doing a system backup with Windows onboard system image backup tool, Windows will consider the D-partition as a system-partition. In practice that means it will not be possible to do a system image backup only for C: (which is my system partition/disk). Windows system backup tool will give only one alternative: to do a system image of both C: (and the untitled mandatory system-partition of 100 MB ) and D:.
This is only because of WAMP, when I uninstall WAMP Windows System Backup work as always: I can chose if I want to include D: or not.

To put WAMP in a subfolder at D:, which I know is NOT recommended, doesn’t solve the system image backup issue anyway.

So the question is: How to get Windows to understand that installing WAMP on D: will NOT make D: to a system-partition/disk?

Kind Regards
ic-it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2015 11:15PM by ic-it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WAMP on D: causes trouble with Windows 7 System Image Backup
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: November 22, 2015 09:51AM

Hi,

It is a Windows problem, not a Wampserver problem.

My Wamp is installed on J: and J: is not considered as a system-partition by Windows.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: November 22, 2015 12:53PM

Hi!

Thanks for answering!

Of cause it is a Window problem (my question: "How to get Windows to understand that installing WAMP on D: will NOT make D: to a system-partition/disk?" ).

What OS version do you use? 64 or 32 bit?
What WAMP-version? 64 or 32 bit?

Kind Regards
ic-it

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: November 22, 2015 02:58PM

Hi,

> What OS version do you use? 64 or 32 bit?
> What WAMP-version? 64 or 32 bit?
We do not care !

It is a statement of the types of your disks partitions. I think that your C: and D: are PRIMARY.

I repeat that it has nothing to do with Wampserver. This forum is for people having issues getting WAMPServer running and not a general HOW DO I site for everything.

And I would add:
If your Windows is fully planted and unrecoverable, how do you restore the images of partitions?
IMHO, I prefer to use a backup software that can be used from a USB stick

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2015 03:22PM by Otomatic.

Date: November 22, 2015 09:58PM

Hi!

IMHO the question asked above is not of the nature being “a general HOW DO I”.

I encountered a problem when installing WAMP that, as I mentioned above, did not exist before that (yes, I’m a beginner using WAMP, and, to answer the last one of your question: I put the question because I wanted my backup routine to continue working like it always had, even after installing WAMP, i.e. I had no problem restoring images of partitions before).
This is not some kind of blaming WAMP causing the issue - if anyone thought that. It’s just a description of the issue.
All I want is to continue using WAMP located at my D-partition. And I thought, due to MHO, that it was ok to put such a question in this forum, that there would be space enough for that even if “the cause” is to be found somewhere else than in WAMP, that the relationship between Windows, WAMP and the issue would be enough, not a problem in itself (IMHO a forum is a place where people learn from each other in a friendly and respectful way no matter being absolutely new beginners or professional experts).

About the primary partitions: Yes, C: and D: are primary.
The hard disk (that is mounted in a laptop, and the only one I use on that computer, except for backups that is made to an external disk) is 750 GB NTFS divided like this:

Untitled volume: Active, Primary (100 MB )

C: System start, Primary (150 GB ) – all applications (except WAMP) installed here

D: Primary, not active (550 GB )

Is the answer to the problem to be found there (in the configuration of the disk with all volumes being primary)?

Kind Regards
ic-it

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.