Wamp server has downtime
Posted by: Rops (174.4.160.---)
Date: March 05, 2013 08:12AM

Hello, I am here today because of my server.

I recently installed a wamp server onto my windows 7 ultimate home pc. It is connected through a belkin router on my ISP (shaw). I realize that in order for a server to connect through the internet you need to forward ports 80 (HTTP) and 443 (HTTPS). I registered a domain about 2 days ago through Godaddy.com. The domain name is called Catogang.com.
This is a basic map of how I am connected from catogang.com -> my Wamp website.
Godaddy.com -> Catogang.com -> freedns.afraid.org -> My website.

I have port forwarded with no luck. I have turned off the firewall on my router and computer and still no luck. My wamp server is configured with vhosts and to listen *:80. I do not have skype on my computer or any computer on my network. I have re-looked all the guides on how to set-up vhosts,DNS,and the initial webserver but still no luck.

I have thought it was to do with freedns.afraid.org but I'm unsure as other people use it and do not get any issues. I have also thought it may be my router but after disabling the firewall, it wasn't the case.

Now this doesn't happen all the time, however. I do get connection once in a while but about %70 of the time it is online, it cannot connect. All I am asking for is a fix for the downtime and to get the website so anyone can access it 24/7.

Thanks, I hope I supplied enough information.
-Rops

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wamp server has downtime
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: March 05, 2013 10:19AM

If you are using vhosts have you added the security for each host correctly

<VirtualHost *:80>
DocumentRoot "D:/websrc/www/site1"
ServerName site1.dev
ServerAlias site1.dev
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
<Directory "D:/websrc/www/site1">
AllowOverride All
Order Deny,Allow
Allow from all
</Directory>

</VirtualHost>

Adding the Allow from all to each vhost!

Re: Wamp server has downtime
Posted by: Rops (174.4.178.---)
Date: March 05, 2013 11:43AM

RiggsFolly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you are using vhosts have you added the
> security for each host correctly
>
>
> DocumentRoot "D:/websrc/www/site1"
> ServerName site1.dev
> ServerAlias site1.dev
> Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
>
> AllowOverride All
> Order Deny,Allow
> Allow from all
>
>
>
>
> Adding the Allow from all to each vhost!

Thanks for the reply but I figured out that the problem wasn't the vhosts or even WAMP for that matter. It was my router. I remembered that before I was playing my xBox 360 and when ever I used my Belkin router, my NAT type would stay at STRICKED. So I changed my router to a Linksys router and my NAT type went from STRICKED to OPEN. So after that experience a few months ago I realized that this might be the same problem I was having before. I quickly changed my routers around for the second time. It worked like a charm.

I would suggest anyone who has a Belkin router to upgrade to a Linksys router if you are running a web server from your home PC.

Thanks for the help,
Rops

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.