stuck on step 9 (upgrading mysql)
Posted by: webwannabee (38.108.87.---)
Date: February 27, 2013 07:30PM

Thankjs for the tutorial on how to upgrade mysql version. I am running wampserver and upgrading from version 5.5. to 5.6. I don't know how to do step 9.
"9. Launch a command window ( using Run As Administrator ).
CD into c:\wamp\bin\mysql\mysql5.5.28\bin folder ( the new releases bin folder ).
And run
mysql_upgrade -u[your MySQL admin userid] -p > upgrade_results.txt

It will ask you for the password for the admin user you provided on the -u parameter.
enter the password. " How do I do this? Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: stuck on step 9 (upgrading mysql)
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.ppp.as43234.net)
Date: February 27, 2013 08:36PM

Locate 'windows command processor' normally in the 'Accessories' group when you start from
'Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Windows Command Processor'

left click + shift over the 'Windows Command Processor' icon - will show a menu.
select "Run As Administrator" from the menu.

When in the command window keyin
>mysql-upgrade -uroot -p > upgrade_results.txt

You will be challenged for the password for the 'root' userid which should be [nothing], just hit enter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2013 08:45PM by RiggsFolly.

Posted by: webwannabee (---.dynamic.tbaytel.net)
Date: February 27, 2013 11:32PM

Please disregard my previous message. I figured how to change directory in command prompt, so i was at c:\wamp\bin\mysql\mysql5.6.10(my newest upgrade)\bin
then I input the code that was asked for in step 9. It asked for the password. I entered the password suggested in step nine "How do I do this? Thank you, only I did not use the quotes at the beginning not sure if I was supposed to. I got an error: c:\wamp\bin\mysql\mysql5.6.10\bin\mysqlcheck_exe Got errror: 2003 :Cannot connect to mysql on localhost <10061> when trying to connect. FATAL ERROR: UPGRADE FAILED

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2013 11:59PM by webwannabee.

Posted by: webwannabee (---.dynamic.tbaytel.net)
Date: February 28, 2013 12:09AM

Sorry for all the posts, I'm just stumbling my way through this smiling smiley Think I know the mistake I made, didn't notice I was supposed to put in my MySQL user id and I had left it [your MySQL user id] lol. So apparently the MySQL user is root with no password as for now I am just using localhost for development. So I input the code in step nine, with root as user id, pressed enter, was prompted for password. Since there is no password I just hit enter again. I still got the error message of not being able to connect to the server, so I don't know sad smiley
The error message was different this time: FAILED TO SET SQL_LOG_BIN=0. You need at least on of the SUPER PRVELIGES for this operation FATAL ERROR UPGRADE FAILED

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2013 12:31AM by webwannabee.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.