Wamp Doesn't Work
Posted by: MattSleight (---.1-4.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: February 12, 2013 04:19PM

Hey sorry to be blunt, but this program just doesn't work. I had an apache server installed previously and that worked fine; I wanted to move to wamp as it integrates a mySQL database into the webserver, which is what I need.

However it just doesn't work.

When you first install, you can access via localhost or through the internet; but obviously get a 403 error through the internet.

If you press 'turn online' there is no change whatsoever.

If you then turn off anything, like the apache server and try to restart; it just refuses to turn back on and says it is not running over port 80.

Rebooting does not help, and in fact now causes another error when I attempt to put it online.

Basically you've gone the Microsoft way; tried to be too clever, assuming people want to use this only to view a site over localhost, when in fact that's not what the vast majority of users want.

The absolute lack of any documentation is also pretty poor, so is the fact that clicking on the install link brings up an error message and it's not clear that there is a download link within that message.

Maybe in a few years when you've ironed out the kinks it will be worth giving another go, but to be honest it would be more productive of me to learn how to get apache, php and mySQL running on windows by myself, rather than trying to work out how to get your bundle to work.

Simplify things, don't over-complicate them.

Cheers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wamp Doesn't Work
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: February 12, 2013 05:09PM

Matt,

Sorry you are having problems.

Question, did you uninstall or at least stop or disable the Apache you had running before trying to get wamp working?

Did you try installing MySQL manually before you tried WAMP, if so did you at least stop or disable that?

What version of WAMP did you try and install?

What version of windows are you running?

Oh and also WAMP Server was designed for the exact purpose of providing a local version of the AMP stack to run on the windows platform. It was never designed to be used as a LIVE web server, it was designed for those people who could not work out for themselves how to install an Apache/MySQL/PHP environment on windows.
It does not come configured in a way that could be considered CASE HARDENED for use on the open web.

If you intend to use it for that purpose then you will need to know a lot more about Apache and how to configure it than most WAMP users do, at least initially.

As to documentation it does appear a little lacking, but if you think about it all wamp does is :-

install Apache - ( Well documented on the apache web site )
install MySQL - ( Well documented on the mysql web site )
install PHP - ( Well documented on the php web site )
install phpMyAdmin - ( Well documented on the phpmyadmin web site )
etc, etc

And a handy little tool to start and stop the 2 servers and access some configs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2013 05:38PM by RiggsFolly.

Re: Wamp Doesn't Work
Posted by: NDC (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: February 12, 2013 08:52PM

Wamp does work. Beautifully. And it generally works straight out of the box - except with Windows 8. winking smiley

I've no idea why, and I've no idea how to sort out the Win 8 problem. But once someone works out the solution Wamp will continue to be 'peachy!'

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.