I don't want another MySQL, but I want Apache and PHP
Posted by: blahmcblah (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2013 10:13PM

I would like to know if one can install WAMP such that it uses what I already have installed rather than creating duplicate installations that conflict and therefore prevent WAMP from working at all..

Some people have Apache but not MySQL
Some people have MySQL but not Apache
Some people have Apache and MySQL but not PHP
Some people have Apache and PHP but not MySQL.

I don't see value in having duplicate installations of these things on a computer. It seems to just lead to trouble. If I were the king of OpenSource, I would having things like WAMP only install components that were not yet installed.

I think that's the root of my problem. I just installed WAMP but MySQL won't start. I get the unhelpful message "Error 1067. The process terminated unexpectedly". I googled a comment about port 3306 being in use, but checked with netstat and that's not the case. I have another installation of MySQL and another copy of my.ini, but it looks like it isn't running when I try to get the WAMP one going. Naturally, my other MySQL is somehow broken and won't let me uninstall it.

I just want to get this going so I can use Wordpress.

Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I don't want another MySQL, but I want Apache and PHP
Posted by: stevenmartin99 (Moderator)
Date: February 02, 2013 10:18PM

why not install them all separately then?

People like wamp because it manages the components,

Left click wamp tray icon and look at all the controls available.

If you install these things alone, wamp cant control them.

Its easier to install them all with wamp. If you dont want Mysql, just left click the tray> mysql> service> uninstall

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Date: February 02, 2013 10:30PM

I guess I'm unclear on how WAMP is greater than the sum of its parts. I imagine that it adds value I don't know about and configures things to be able to find the other things. I don't really know what you mean by "manage", but I like things that manage other things for me. I just think that I should be able to tell WAMP to manage my existing MySQL rather than add a new one. I'm a newbie, but I'm sure others with existing MySQL installations have done a lot of tweaking of their MySQL installations and don't want to have to redo all of that with a WAMP MySQL.

I only wrote this message after deciding that this has to be a really frequent situation. Maybe I'm wrong about that. Has anyone else ever asked about this?

Date: February 02, 2013 10:47PM

Well not really,

a few have mysql installed but want to disable it , so that wamps mysql can run

if you have databases in the other mysql , you just need to export them into SQL , then disabled it

to disable it , open services.msc

scroll to MYSQLX.X > right click > properties> press stop annd change start type to disabled

you will also need to search your pc for "my.ini" and rename any outside of wamp to "my-old.ini"

now , wamps will start up when you left click the tray> restart all.

the colour of the icon should be green when all is running

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Date: February 02, 2013 11:28PM

Thanks for your speedy replies. Again, I am just a newbie here and don't mean any offense here, but

"you just need to export them into SQL" (then import them into WAMP's MySQL)

sounds like a VERY non-trivial undertaking. There are bound to be user definitions and permissions and roles and all sorts of MySQL goodies I don't even know about. Export the data into SQL too? Are we talking about millions of "INSERT" statements? Data migration is going to cost me at least a day's worth of googling user groups. What about other systems that are counting on this old MySQL being where it is? Do I need to forever remember when to enable and disable each MySQL installation?

Apart from the odd requirement for multiple versions, and perhaps some special security concern, is there any good reason to EVER have two installations of MySQL on one computer? Or two installations of Apache? (Or for that matter, two Java runtime editions? I get that a lot)

In my experience, opensource software aggregators and stacks or whatever you want to call them don't address this concern at all that I have about confusion and headache from having on my machine more than one copy of something.

So I must be missing something that seems to make everyone else in computer science perfectly happy to have duplicates. I hate integration headaches so am very attracted to something like WAMP that seems to alleviate them. I just don't want to pay for this with duplication headaches.

Is there a technical rationale behind it?

Date: February 02, 2013 11:33PM

like i said, if you have mysql running and want to use it, just left click wamp> mysql> service> uninstall

Mysql should be running on port 3306 , you said yours is not. so i cant really tell you more , but which ever copy you are using, it should be on 3306

you can do that in CMD.

netstat -aon |findstr :3306

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.