restoring MySQL database after OS reinstallation
Posted by: ggourde (---.lightspeed.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 30, 2013 05:24AM

I know this has been talked about a lot, but I don't know enough about the lexicon to figure out which of the prior questions relate to me or not. So my apologies.

I had to reinstall my OS, so i moved my WAMP folder to my external hard drive. So I guess my first question is: Did I inadvertently delete my information that I had stored on my mysql databases?

Assuming (and praying) I didn't... I put on WAMP 2.2- which is an upgrade. Apparently I was also using mysql5.1.36, but now I have mysql5.5.24. - Another thing that is different, is that before I was using the www folder, and now I am using an Alias.

Where is my information in the WAMP folder on my external hard drive? How do I put that information back onto my hard drive?

Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: restoring MySQL database after OS reinstallation
Posted by: stevenmartin99 (Moderator)
Date: January 30, 2013 06:25AM

Your data is in the folder you moved.
The integrity of the data depends on te storage engine used and the manner in which it was moved - ie was the server stopped at the time.

Your best solution now is to uninstall the new wamp you installed, and delete the wamp folder as some folders will stay behind.

Move a COPY of the old wamp folder back into place on the new drive.
It must go exactly in the same file path it was

So if it was c:/wamp it must go back on the c drive.

Open the folder and run the wampmanager.exe

On the tray menu

Left click it > apache > service > install
Left click it > mysql > service > install

Test the server and ensure your data is ok.

If you want to then upgrade to the newer wamp, ill provide more instructions

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Re: restoring MySQL database after OS reinstallation
Posted by: ggourde (198.209.220.---)
Date: January 30, 2013 06:00PM

Mr. Martin,
Thank you so much, that worked like a charm! And yes, I would appreciate instructions on how to upgrade to the newer wamp. I am currently running 32-bit vista, but later this year I'm planning on getting a new pc that'll probably run on windows 8.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.