website host from personal wamp
Posted by: VAV616 (---.lightspeed.mssnks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 14, 2013 05:08AM

Ok, first off, I understand most people don't want to host a website from the home computer. nevertheless I have fought my way through dozens of tutorials, blogs, forums, youtube vids, and have got most all of it set up and working now with apache through Wamp. I have to say I am totally unimpressed with most peoples ability to teach or explain things in a concise way, It almost makes me feel there is a vast conspiracy to keep people from hosting their own site on their own machine, maybe for their own good, and maybe so they are forced to go buy web hosting from somebody. /shrug

i have my own little html site that i wrote. Its for my small service company, which i dont expect to have hardly Any traffic on. If i send out 45 flyers to local businesses i would be suprized if 15 people actually go an look at it in more than a weeks time. And I very well may go and buy a host site later, i just dont have $60 to pay for the whole year up front rtm. ok?

I have a domain i registered and have forwarded it to my isp. have opened the port on my att uverse router and i have Kaspersky net security , and i have wamp setup and running, and even managed to eventually get it working and have tested that you can access it.

so my problem and question... I forwarded the dns to my isp and it works if you type www. but if you try to just punch in the name without the www. it still goes to the dns coming soon page. So is this something in the dns control settings or is it a matter of setting up the aliases or Vhosts in wamp properly??

ill go ahead and let you test it at www.delta-infinity.com but delta-infinity.com does not work.

I stand braced for you constructive criticism
Thanks

VAV

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: website host from personal wamp
Posted by: stevenmartin99 (Moderator)
Date: January 14, 2013 07:40AM

Its a problem with your dns setup, not with wamp.

if you can get both forwarded to your pc , then you can seperate using vhosts etc but at the moment only the www is being forwarded which is a sub domain

if you have options in the the dns for the sub domain it should be left blank or with a * usually

i think for such a small site, maybe just use weebly? or wix?

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Posted by: Konkwest (---.sip.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 14, 2013 02:21PM

yes this is a dns issue with the domain itself. you probably have a "www" subdomain setup pointing to your wamp server ip address currently. what you will want to do is add a similar record for "@" also pointing to your same ip address. the @ symbol specifies where to send naked domain requests, meaning those with no subdomains attached. make sure you specify this as an A record not a cname record or it won't work properly (A records are for ips, cnames are for domains). also keep in mind once you make these changes that dns record changes can take up to 48 hours to spread throughout the whole internet, so it may not work right away.

one more thing. if you don't currently pay extra for a static ip through your provider, they may occasionally rotate which one you're using which will knock your site offline when it happens. there is a company that lets you update this on-the-fly (if i remember correctly it's dyndns.com), but it may be less hassle to pay the $5 or $10 a month to just have a static ip.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2013 02:32PM by Konkwest.

Posted by: VAV616 (---.lightspeed.mssnks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 14, 2013 03:15PM

ah, i hadnt filled that one in because I thought it was just for the email.

awesome
thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.