Pointing domain to localhost
Posted by: noelllll (---.cpe.distributel.net)
Date: August 18, 2015 01:53AM

Hello,

I am very new to setting up servers so please excuse my extreme ignorance..

I just bought a domain name and I have NO idea how to get it to point to my localhost(127.0.0.1) publicly. I was told to edit my "hosts" file and I did and it only works on my computer here. When I try to access from another computer it doesn't work..

I have no idea what to do and I don't know a lot of the terms (DNS records, nameservers) and what they actually mean / do.

I'm sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but I searched the forum and couldn't find anything that helped. If you need any info to help just ask and I'll provide..

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pointing domain to localhost
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as43234.net)
Date: August 18, 2015 10:03AM

Hello Noel

I feel I have to preface this answer with a WARNING: Opening you website and therefore you local network and PC up to external access brings with it some risks that I dont think you are aware of and from your comments I dont think you are ready for.

That said first you need to start by portforwarding your Router looking at portforward.com for information about what that is and with luck you will find instructions on how to do it for your actual router.

Then get the domain name pointed to the Routers WAN IP Address, that covers the DNS record and nameserver requirement.

Then set you WAMPServer to OnLine using the wampmanager menus to allow Apache to accept connections from the internet

- wampmanager -> Put Online

For reference changes to the HOSTS file only effects your PC and nothing else in the universe.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Re: Pointing domain to localhost
Posted by: sTimulated (---.plus.com)
Date: August 23, 2015 11:04PM

did you point the cname at your domain host's website to be your ip not theirs?
have you got a static ip?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.