two versions of WAMP with different www folders
Posted by: Pulsator (---.2-1.cable.virginm.net)
Date: August 08, 2015 01:09PM

Hi

I have a need to maintain an older version of WAMP for some Joomla 1.5 based sites which do not load well under the latest WAMP version.

Currently I use two installs of Windows on separate hard drives and reboot between these when I need to use the alternate version. A bit cumbersome.

I did a test install on my laptop of WAMP 2.5 then WAMP2.2d, installing each to a different folder and while I can run each version, I only have access to the www folder under WAMP2.2d, installed second, even when WAMP 2.5 is running.

Is there any way to ensure WAMP 2.5 sees the www folder within it's own install location while WAMP 2.2d retains access to it's own folder? basically, I need to isolate both versions from each other.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: two versions of WAMP with different www folders
Date: August 11, 2015 10:45AM

Anyone have experience getting two versions to run on same machine with separate www folders?

Thanks

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as43234.net)
Date: August 11, 2015 12:08PM

Hello,

You do know that WAMPServer will allow you, within one instance of WAMPServer, to have more than one version of Apache/MySQL/PHP installed and then allows you to switch between version.

You cannot run more than one mix at a time, but you can switch Apache and PHP to a compatible set for Joomla 1.5 and fiddle with that, and then switch to another version set and fiddle with some other dev site.....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: August 11, 2015 01:12PM

Hi RiggsFolly

That sounds perfect for my needs.

Are there any instructions that I can follow to set up the alternate versions?

Thanks

Date: August 11, 2015 01:29PM

This should get you going [forum.wampserver.com]

Read it all through before starting the process, any questions I could probably help you out using a TeaM Viewer session if you get stuck.

Make sure you have backups before you start just in case you make a woopsie.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: August 11, 2015 03:24PM

Thanks for your help so far.

I'll follow your advice and read the guide thoroughly before I give it a go and believe me, you'll hear the scream just before I ask your help if I woopsie it smiling smiley

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: August 11, 2015 04:59PM

Hi,

It is possible to make cohabit several versions of Wampserver, but it requires some constraints:
- Not the same names on both Apache and MySQL services between versions of Wampserver
- Not the same names VirtualHost, even for the same local site.
And in this case it is even possible to run the versions of Wampserver simultaneously.
I did it with two versions of WampServer 2.5, a 32-bit and one 64-bit.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: August 11, 2015 05:38PM

Oto,

But do you think this is a good idea for someone who does not even know that WAMPServer can have more than one version of Apache/MySQL & PHP.

You and I know what we are doing whereas others do not have your experiece and understanding of WAMPServer or Apache etc.

This also assumes that the PC has a large amount of memory in order to run 2xApache & 2xMYSQL.

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: August 11, 2015 06:35PM

Hi,

RiggsFolly,
> But do you think this is a good idea for someone who does not even know
> that WAMPServer can have more than one version of Apache/MySQL & PHP.
You are right!
I know what I'm doing and exactly why I do it. Most times, it is only for testing purposes.
And in addition, I am a fervent supporter of backups.
Since 1972 I started in IT, I have never lost a byte, whether professionally or personal computer.
Note: 16 GB of memory.

Also, simultaneously operating two Apache / MySQL servers is - still - a precision exercise!
And then, I forgot, you also need Apache and MySQL different ports between servers ...

In conclusion, I should not have to mention this, not to make it seem like it's easy.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.