how to correctly install wampserver
Posted by: maxilgatto (---.117-80-r.retail.telecomitalia.it)
Date: August 02, 2015 04:44PM

hy, I need to install a WAMP on my win8.1/64 to locally test joomla sites. The problem is that I have already apache/tomcat and php on my workstation, working in bundle with a specific application. If I install now wampserver will it interfere with previously installed apache/php? I need that the two enwironments work separately. Is it possible? Thanks in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how to correctly install wampserver
Posted by: funkyfrank (179.43.144.---)
Date: August 02, 2015 05:03PM

I am no pro but I think WAMP installs everything into c:\wamp rather than \program files\mysql, \program files\apache\ and so on.

I am a fairly new user so could be totally wrong but I have installed WAMP and did not find any traces of Apache, MySQL or PHP (AMP) outside the c:\wamp\ directory.

If you can and like your system and OS to stay the way it was and try out WAMP you could download Macrium Reflect Free and make an image of your OS.
So to speak the C partition and there only the space that is taken by your current OS installation (Refelect does this automatically, just click "Create an image of the partitions needed to restore the Operating System"winking smiley.
Save that image to an external drive or to another partition where you do not have your OS on.

Then you can try out WAMP and if things are fine, fine, but if you find it interferes with your current installations of the AMP stack you can quickly go back to your old OS state and restore the image you made and it will be just like you never had WAMP on your OS partition.
I do this regularly when I install new software.
Best way to keep the registry and OS clean and running I find.

Hope this help.

On another note:
Does it really have to be Joomla? Are you sure about that choice? Since I am curious it would be great to hear why you opt for Joomla. Never tried it so don't know much about it, just heard they often have updates to patch security issues and such. If there is a "must be Joomla" reason for it, I'd love to hear it. I started using WordPress for backend combined with Bootstrap for frontend but might also give Foundation by Zurb a try since that claims to be "the most semantic" framework and Bootstrap clearly isn't very semantic.

Version of Operating system? Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Version of Wamp Server installed? 2.5 32bit
Version of Apache you are running? 2.4.9
Version of MySQL you are running? 5.6.17
Version of PHP you are running? 5.5.12
What colour is your WampManager icon? Green
Host file localhost 127.0.0.1

New to WAMP?
Read this please: [forum.wampserver.com]

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as43234.net)
Date: August 02, 2015 05:30PM

If you install WAMPServer to the root of any drive it should be fine.
i.e. if you answer C:\wamp as the install folder ( it can be any drive.

Of course you will have to stop you existing Apache, TomCat and MySQL or change their Service config so they are not autostarted.

The 2 seperate enviromment should then not get into each others way, but you can only run one or the other, not both at the same time, assuming you dont want to go amending port numbers etc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: August 02, 2015 05:31PM

Thanks for quick response: I'll try but i will previously gain confidence with suggested disk imaging product. I'll make know the forum if the problem will be solved or not.
About Joomla: I use Joomla (5 sites) for many reasons, the most important is that there is a good planty of collaborative users (in Italy too, italian speaking) for receiving ideas and help and a good commercial hosting service. The need for security update is not so pressing and the version upgrade process is easy and fast.
This in my opinion....

Date: August 02, 2015 05:49PM

RiggsFolly Wrote:

>
> The 2 seperate enviromment should then not get
> into each others way, but you can only run one or
> the other, not both at the same time, assuming you
> dont want to go amending port numbers etc.

Thanks for suggestion. Of course I don't want do change standard port numbers and so on, it seem to me that it will be enough changing start parameters from auto to manual and each time choose what environment to use ... ...

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as43234.net)
Date: August 02, 2015 05:55PM

Of course MAKE A GOOD BACKUP of your current system BEFORE attempting anything.

Just so I feel safe giving this advice

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.