don;t know how to use wamp server
Posted by: maxi13 (37.6.5.---)
Date: August 22, 2012 10:39PM

Hello to all,

I am new here i had a website designed for me on joomla and i really have no idea how to handle it so a developer encouraged me to download wamp server and to learn joomla environment before working on my website ...now i did download it , everything ok is online..perfect...and i have no idea how to use it. Can i use a testing website/webpage just to learn the formation of articles and so on?? all these mysql,php are just chinese to me...

thanks for any reply..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: don;t know how to use wamp server
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.ppp.as43234.net)
Date: August 23, 2012 12:59AM

Get your developer to get you started.

Posted by: nofear2k (---.unitymediagroup.de)
Date: August 23, 2012 03:36AM

Hi,

Install Wamp-Server package (usually to c:\wamp).
Start the wampmanager in c:\wamp (-> Tray Icon appears).
Register and Start Apache (webserver) and mysql server services (through Tray Icon).

Now you have a webserver running on your computer!
If you or somebody else (maybe) tries to access your computer via Webbrowser, the Apache Webserver will deliver the files in c:\wamp\www directory.
If you put a file test.doc in that directory, you can download the file via
[localhost]
or [127.0.0.1]
or http:// "real IP" /test.doc (whatever your IP is).

To have an own Joomla CMS running on your machine you have to copy the installation files of joomla in c:\wamp\www and install joomla as described there (eg open webbrowser and type [localhost] (or whatever the initial setup file of joomla is).

If your webserver should be reachable at a certain web address from outside your own LAN you can use dyndns to get a nice webaddress which always points to your current IP. Windows Firewall should be turned of or you have to configure port 80 will be open (apache listening for incoming connections). If you have a router you also have to setup port forwarding. If you have a fixed IP you dont need DynDNS or sth. similar service...

Hope this helps smiling smiley

PS: if your wamp server tray icon does not switch to green, something is wrongwinking smiley
good luck

Posted by: maxi13 (37.6.5.---)
Date: August 23, 2012 04:19AM

thanks for your response , my tray icon is green yet i don't know how to transfer or reate php test in the directory...i downloaded a free joomla template from siteground.com..in zip form, i unziped it and its full of files that i don't know what to do with them..i don't want to upload my website because i don't want to damage it in any way..if you could help just give me an example of a free template php and where/how i put it on the server..

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.ppp.as43234.net)
Date: August 23, 2012 10:52AM

I am sorry but you obviously dont have the knowledge to complete the task you have set yourself.

Your problems appear to be related to Joomla and not wamp so I suggest you start reading through the joomla documentation, there is lots of it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.