Transfer WAMP (MySQL database) to a new server
Posted by: ChrisBedford (41.183.0.---)
Date: July 19, 2012 11:04AM

Hi all

I previously posted about this difficulty, but have managed with help from this forum and various other sources to get a bit past the original problem... a very little bit.

Situation: WAMP5 1.7.2 (Yeah, I know, old, but apparently the php code doesn't take kindly to upgrading) running on Windows Server 2003 (Web Edition).

Requirement: Back up system, restore it to the same machine reformatted under Server 2003 64-bit to take advantage of larger memory capability - i.e. like in a disaster recovery scenario.

Turns out that every method I use to dump the database, leads to errors when I try to import / restore that database on my identical new machine. The error messages don't really make much sense and getting them interpreted proved to me more of a challenge than I would have believe possible. But eventually by comparing the results of a restored database with the original one, I found that several Views in the original database are being saved as Tables, and the various utilities / MySQL itself are barfing when trying to create those "Tables" and / or when coming across references to non-existent Views.

So the question is, of all the methods of dumping a MySQL database, which one(s) is/are going to be able to export the Views separately from the Tables and in such a way that the database can be reconstructed on a clean WAMP installation? And preferably a dump method that can be run unattended, e.g. as part of a scheduled backup? More specifically, how do I accomplish this export?

Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Transfer WAMP (MySQL database) to a new server
Posted by: stevenmartin99 (Moderator)
Date: July 19, 2012 06:08PM

are you sure you are importing using the same mysql version?

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Date: July 19, 2012 06:15PM

Hi Steve

Yep - exact same WAMP5 install image used to set up the new server.

And whenever I have tried restoring, I have used the same version of the same utility that created the dump file - this includes MySQL's command line, PHPMyAdmin, SQLYog, MySQL Admin and the new app that replaced it - Desk something. All of them trip up at some point or another... all in all quite a yawn.

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (Moderator)
Date: July 19, 2012 06:16PM

is it sensitive data of can i see the db. or even structure of columns?

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Date: July 23, 2012 09:38PM

Reply in private mail

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.