Wamp in a classroom
Posted by: bryson (---.eq.edu.au)
Date: December 23, 2005 05:39AM

Hi All, I am wanting to use wamp for a new class on internet programming. I am wanting to install wamp on the machine that a student is sitting at (as opposed to installing it centrally on a server) and have the php files and the mysql databases reside in the student's home drive on a network (eg H:/www). Can anybody tell me what files I would need to make to enable to this to occur. I am assuming it would require changes to apache, mysql, php?, phpmyadmin??

Cheers Bryson

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wamp in a classroom
Posted by: bryson (---.eq.edu.au)
Date: January 05, 2006 04:26AM

Is there anyone out there who can help?

Posted by: gizzmo (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 05, 2006 09:08AM

are you sayin that each computer will have wamp on it and when a student signs on to the computer it will load their files as the www dir?

Posted by: Romain Bourdon (---.w193-251.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: January 05, 2006 02:09PM

You'll have to make changes to the httpd.conf file to point the documentroot to the good place (student's drive).

romain

Posted by: Bryson (---.lns2.bne3.internode.on.net)
Date: January 10, 2006 12:23AM

Thanks for the replies - yes I am wanting to install wamp locally on each workstation, but have all the php files and the mysql databases reside in a student's home drive - that way they are portable around campus. Romain - will your suggestion only work for the php files, what about for the mysql databases?

Cheers, Bryson

Posted by: troels (---.ds1-vby.adsl.cybercity.dk)
Date: January 14, 2006 01:51PM

you can change the following line in my.ini :
datadir=c:/wamp/mysql/data

Posted by: Bryson (---.lns1.bne1.internode.on.net)
Date: January 16, 2006 11:14AM

Thanks for this reply. For others looking to do something similar, you may also need to change the location of specific log files, and also the size of the files created by mysql.

Cheers, and thanks for the support.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.