Disaster recovery / upgrade to new hardware
Posted by: ChrisBedford (41.183.0.---)
Date: June 26, 2012 06:53PM

Hi everyone

I'm very much a non-developer, just trying to support a WAMP installation that a developer created years ago. The guy has kind of dropped us, the new developers know how to keep the programs running and that is more or less all we have done for a few years now.

However the time has come for hardware replacement and we also need to plan for disaster recovery, so I am testing restoring onto a new computer and not having a great deal of success. I can get the system up to the point where the software runs and all the services look good, but when a user tries to log onto the custom program we get SQL errors so I am assuming that the database didn't carry across properly.

What I did was create the whole WAMP environment as it exists on the production machine, and copy over the WWW directory from that machine to the test one. Apache serves up the correct front page and everything, but then as I said it all goes south from there.

Is there a correct procedure for porting an installation? If so have I just looked in the wrong place for it?

Sorry to ask what is probably a very basic question, but I found nothing on this - probably using the wrong keywords I guess.

Appreciate any pointers from you pundits.

Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Disaster recovery / upgrade to new hardware
Posted by: stevenmartin99 (Moderator)
Date: June 26, 2012 11:40PM

hi chris , you need to export db and then import them again using phpmyadmin.

the rest sounds ok..

if you want it checked out, grab teamviewer and ill take a look

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Date: July 01, 2012 12:29AM

Thanks Steven

Makes sense, I remember this being the procedure with MS SQL. It's been a while since I had to do that, but I used to know how to do those dumps & imports - in MS SQL - even managed to schedule automatic dumps as part of the daily backup procedures. In MySQL, not so easy apparently!

I found something called SQLyog installed on the source server and managed to get it to extract a 500 MB .CSV file for me, which I then copied over to my test environment.

The live installation was done some years ago and has apparently never been upgraded, so it is still running something called WAMP5 version 1.7.2 - the developers tell me not to even dream of trying to get the code to run on the new WAMP because the php won't be backwards compatible. OK so I installed that exact same version of WAMP on the test machine and tried to import the .CSV dump. Oh boy. Easier said than done.

No SQLyog in this computer, so I started with the phpMyAdmin that installs with WAMP5. That aborts with a non-committal "maybe the file is too big" error. The hints for fixing that didn't help, and since I really don't know what I'm doing I didn't want to go too far down that road.

Another alternative seemed to use a more up to date version of phpMyAdmin, so I downloaded that and simply copied it over the version already there. At first this gave me nothing but a blank white screen, but by reverting the index.php file to the version that installed with WAMP, I managed to at least get an "Access Denied" error message :

Error
MySQL said:
Cannot connect: invalid settings.

phpMyAdmin tried to connect to the MySQL server, and the server rejected the connection. You should check the host, username and password in your configuration and make sure that they correspond to the information given by the administrator of the MySQL server.

I have tried all sorts of edits in the config.inc.php file in this directory, with no effect: user name root and blank password (I know that's valid) as well as another user name & password combination that is also valid, but may perhaps exist only in the database that I'm trying to create (?); the server name is 'localhost' which works fine for accessing the front page of the actual system; the port no (8080) is correct, and not the default. What else could I be missing? Maybe the old php version doesn't support this new phpMyAdmin version, but I don't know how to tell what version of php is included in WAMP5 1.7.2?

If you really are keen to do the TeamViewer thing I'd be most grateful, and happy to set up an appointment if you could give me a rough idea of a time - I'm on GMT + 2, what timezone are you on? Could we discuss details in PM?

Chris

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (Moderator)
Date: July 01, 2012 01:48AM

sounds like a bit of a mess now smiling smiley

but sure ill take a look , i am GMT...

maybe its a bit late for you now? but otherwise any time after 9am gmt tomor?

use my gmail address below to contact me.

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Date: July 01, 2012 11:04PM

Thanks Steven

Managed to get a bit further using command line stuff - more details in private mail. Go well

Chris

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.