GPL?
Posted by: md2perpe (---.cust.bredband2.com)
Date: June 07, 2012 10:39PM

The web page says: "WampServer is available for free (under GPL license)".

WampServer is a package containing Apache, MySQL, PHP, Aestan Tray Menu, and some PHP applications.

Apache is licensed under the Apache license.
MySQL is licensed under the GPL license.
PHP is licensed under the PHP license.
Aestan Tray Menu is dedicated to the public domain.

Therefore WampServer as a whole is licensed under several licenses.

However, the distribution of WampServer seems not to comply with these licenses. For example, the GPL license (§3) says that the source code of the software should be either distributed together with the executable, offered for a low fee, or that information should be provided about how to get the source code in another way. As far as I can see, no one of these is fulfilled for MySQL in WampServer.

What are you referring to when you talk about WampServer being licensed under GPL? Is it the installer? Do you really comply with GPL even in that case? The only source I can find are ISS files. But the GPL says:

"The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for making modifications to it. For an executable work, complete source code means all the source code for all modules it contains, plus any associated interface definition files, plus the scripts used to control compilation and installation of the executable"

Where can I find the scripts used during installation (i.e. install_services.bat) and the images (i.e. wampserver.ico)?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: GPL?
Date: June 16, 2012 07:22PM

Nobody else but me cares about the license and compliance with it?

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (Moderator)
Date: June 16, 2012 07:31PM

What license do you want it to go under?

Wamp is made from opensource components

Apache , Mysql , PHP , Aestean Tray Menu

The source for these is available from their sites as expected.

The installer for wamp is available at sourceforge.

you can use innounp to unpack the exe to get the missing files you need

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Date: June 16, 2012 07:47PM

Thanks for your answer!

I love the GPL, so it's totally fine with that license.

I know that I can download the source code for the components from their respective sites. However, I haven't seen any information about this on the WampServer web site. At least regarding MySQL, which is licensed under GPL v2, this is not in compliance with the license (see GPL §3).

Regarding WampServer itself (the installer), (until now) I haven't seen any information about the install scripts. I think that to really comply with the GPL v2, all files that are needed for the compilation (perhaps except InnoSetup) should be provided explicitely (see GPL §3).

Date: June 16, 2012 08:08PM

i think its only if the versions of apache , etc are modified .. which they are not.

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Date: June 16, 2012 09:39PM

Providing the source code is required even if the software is unmodified. Read §3 of GPL v2!
[www.gnu.org]

However, it's okay to provide links to the MySQL download site:
"If distribution of executable or object code is made by offering access to copy from a designated place, then offering equivalent access to copy the source code from the same place counts as distribution of the source code, even though third parties are not compelled to copy the source along with the object code."
(from GPL v2 §3)

Posted by: md2perpe (---.cust.tele2.se)
Date: June 30, 2012 09:20PM

When do you expect to comply with the relevant licenses (e.g. GPL)?

Date: June 30, 2012 10:05PM

im not responible for any compliane. you will need to contact Alterway in France

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Posted by: md2perpe (---.cust.tele2.se)
Date: June 30, 2012 10:35PM

I've now sent them a mail via their contact form.

(Luckily, although I don't know French, I did anyway understand enough to fill in the form. It's like reading Python when you know PHP.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.