Apache sometimes crashes when using odbc connections
Posted by: jgeerts (---.be.jnj.com)
Date: June 29, 2015 04:41PM

I'm using the latest 64-bit version of Wampserver and I noticed that the Apache process sometimes crashes when using the odbc connection.

This is what's been logged in the event viewer:

Faulting application name: httpd.exe, version: 2.4.9.0, time stamp: 0x53258cd5
Faulting module name: MSVCR110.dll, version: 11.0.51106.1, time stamp: 0x5098826e
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000003c69e
Faulting process id: 0x5ac
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0a9c86c475dbd
Faulting application path: D:\wamp\bin\apache\apache2.4.9\bin\httpd.exe
Faulting module path: C:\windows\system32\MSVCR110.dll
Report Id: 2b3c262d-1e57-11e5-943b-005056915a28

I've a MS SQL database on a remote system and I'm accessing it using the 64-bit odbc driver (also the 32-bit odbc driver is installed).

Everything goes well when I'm accessing tables with less columns. If i'm doing a "Select * from table" on a table that has a lot of columns, the error occurs (so I'm able to reproduce the issue).

Any idea what could be wrong here?

Thanks,

Jos.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Apache sometimes crashes when using odbc connections
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as43234.net)
Date: June 29, 2015 05:02PM

This sounds like a problem for Microsoft or maybe whoever produced the ODBC drivers etc. Non of this is really anything WAMPServer related.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: June 30, 2015 01:54PM

Correct, it's not related to WAMPServer. It's a known bug which is still not resolved, not even in the latest releases of PHP (5.5.* or 5.6.*).
If you have a column in a table that is defined as nvarchar(max), apache will crash with the above noted error when you are using the "SQL Server Native Client xx.x" odbc drivers.

A workaround is to use the default "SQL Server" odbc driver (is always present in the "ODBC Data Source Administrator" program). This driver reports the nvarchar(max) columns as ntext columns with a maximum size instead of nvarchar columns with a size of zero (it's probably the zero value that is causing apache/php to crash).

I just changed the code (change dsn) to use the "old" driver (it's listed as version 6.01.7601.17514) and it works perfectly, even when accessing MS SQL server databases with version 12.*.

So my issue is resolved by this workaround but it would be a lot better if the bug would get resolved in the php_pdo_odbc.dll file (Windows), so that recent odbc drivers can be used in the future.

Date: June 30, 2015 05:01PM

it would be a lot better if the bug would get resolved in the php_pdo_odbc.dll file (Windows), so that recent odbc drivers can be used in the future.

Just in case you are confused, the WAMPServer ( Alterway ) guys do not maintain PHP or its extensions. They dont even compile it, they just package up the parts into a quick and easy preconfigured install.

If you want to register your disgust I suggest you go to the `php.net`site or more likely a microsoft site, and add your weight to this bug so people know it is important to get it fixed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: July 01, 2015 10:43AM

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
I just submitted a bug report for this on php.net
Link can be found here: [bugs.php.net]

Date: July 01, 2015 12:50PM

I might be tempted to submit something here as well [connect.microsoft.com]

I would guess the issue is inside either the ODBC driver or the mssql.dll extension which is all Microsoft code and nothing to do with the guys that write PHP.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.