How to use WAMP and IIS in parallel tutorial
Posted by: docreza (217.218.42.---)
Date: August 26, 2006 08:05AM

I had a problem using WAMP on Win XP pro while IIS is installed and is needed.
I just solved it and I hope to put the solution here for others to use.

It is sometimes necessary to have both IIS and WAMP on the same machine. For instance I develop and maintain web applicationson ASP and PHP. However, IIS ususally ocupies port 80 by default and interfers with WAMP's Apache which will try using the same port.

I do the following to use WAMP and IIS on the same machine:

1) When I installed WAMP, I did not install Apache as a service.
2) You notice that IIS is usually automatically started when Windows start up. Then whenever I need to run Apache, I first shut down IIS Admin by going to :
Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Services

then I stop IIS Admin srvice. This will free PORT 80 for being then used by Apache

3) After stopping IIS Admin service, I go to WAMP taskbar icon on desktop and in Apache submenu I click 'Start/Resume Service'.
Apache starts and can use port 80. You can now start working with WAMP's Apache but not with IIS. Here when you go to URL [localhost] , the WAMP local homepage should appear.

4) Whenever I am finished with WAMP's Apache and need to use IIS,
I first shut dwon Apache in:
WAMP's desktop icon --> Apache --> 'Stop Service'

Then I start 'IIS Admin' service in:
Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Services

Another important tip is that after restarting IIS Admin you must do another step and go to:
Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Internet Information Services

and start your website(s) or default website there too.
Now when you go to the URL: [localhost] , this time IIS Homepage appears and you can use IIS websites in ASP, ... . However, you can not use Apache at the same time. (see above)

Good luck

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to use WAMP and IIS in parallel tutorial
Posted by: Sparky (---.upc-i.chello.nl)
Date: August 27, 2006 05:20AM

Why not just run both servers at the same time, but on different ports?
I'll just assume that you use IIS most often, so i would leave that at port 80. Then i would use port 81 or 85 for Apache.

This will work a lot better since you wouldn't have to disable IIS, enable Apache and later disable Apache and enable IISdocreza wrote:

Posted by: docreza (217.218.42.---)
Date: September 05, 2006 06:32AM

Dear Sparky

Thanks for your advice. I did not know how to set apache use a different port.
On the other hand WAMP also uses apache on port 80 as default and one then has to change other variables in WAMP.

Posted by: fatima980 (---.worldcall.net.pk)
Date: May 19, 2012 10:59AM

I have done with iis and wamp on the same server with different ports.. IIS is running with LOCALHOST with post 80 and WAMP is running with port 8080. Now I do have problem with when I started website by using IIS Manager

ERROR: This website cannot be started. another website may be using the same port...

Hence website not started and also not browse

and I m stuck with this error

Kindly give me the solution for

I will be greatful

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.