WampServer devs, please don't overwrite MySQL user tables on update
Posted by: AndyDeGroo (78.84.18.---)
Date: April 06, 2012 08:46PM

Today I downloaded the latest version 2.2d and thanks to common sense made a backup of entire wamp directory. After install it appeared that installer had replaced user tables in mysql data directory.
Not a great thing if you have many projects with separate user accounts on each database.

On another note; please make font-size and line-height of the textarea here in forum a bit larger. It is hard to write and edit messages here. With default font-size of 12px and normal line-height it looks and functions much better.

Thanks,
Andy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WampServer devs, please don't overwrite MySQL user tables on update
Posted by: stevenmartin99 (Moderator)
Date: April 06, 2012 10:23PM

no it did not do anything to your databases,

your databases are in the other copy of mysql

left click wamp> mysql> version> select

then in phpmyadmin you can export them and import them into the new version.

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Date: April 06, 2012 10:27PM

Nope, I already checked that as that was my first assumption. There is only one copy of MySQL and it is mysql5.5.20.

Date: April 06, 2012 10:32PM

but you said you updated?

wamp does not delete files from other installations...

i know how the installer is wrriten ... its very clear "onlyifdoesnotexist" flag is in the installer so its not possible for it even to write over the current install of a component.

if you are sure you had databases in wamp , then i would love to take a look using teanviewer to check out the issue you are having

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Date: April 06, 2012 10:40PM

Already sorted the issue and didn't save those files, but I can swear that after updating there were no users I had created previously in mysql user table and diffs showed that files are different. I can try to reproduce the behaviour if that can help in any way.

I was hoping to find a setup log file in %temp% to see if I can help with more info, but I couldn't find any. Maybe I'm looking in wrong place? Does installer have any command line switches to debug it?

I don't have teamviewer here, but I could install it just for you smiling smiley

Date: April 07, 2012 06:53PM

no there is no command line switches but like i said it cant even install MySQL over another version due to the way its written. Im surprised your saying "update"

if you update wamp, and it has another version of mysql that the previous version didnt have , then you will have 2 mysql versions. Unless the latest version has some issues , but this is the way its supposed to be and always has been.

if you can install teamviewer that would be great , if not , even the old and new version numbers would be great.

if this is true , it needs to be sorted ASAP

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Date: April 08, 2012 12:19AM

Sorry, I didn't mention the versions.
Before update I had wampserver 2.2c 32bit and updated to 2.2d. MySQL version in both is 5.5.20 judging by readme.txt file.

I tired to reproduce it in steps:
1. Shut down apache and mysql services
2. made a backup by zipping contents of wamp directory
3. installed 2.2d without uninstalling existing 2.2d version

I used WinMerge to compare mysql5.5.20/data/mysql directory with backed up and it appears that installer replaced users.MYD, users.MYI, db.MYI and db.MYD with default empty files. Other existing database directories are intact. Although update didn't replace my.ini which was modified.

I created a paste with WinMerge report in CSV as a proof - [pastebin.com]

Date: April 08, 2012 08:15AM

brillant smiling smiley you did way more than i expected!! thanks , ill look into this now

thanks - i guess thats the issue though- we have never had an update that has not had a version update of a component.

ill look into this more now, thanks smiling smiley

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.