Virtual server in WAMP suddenly not working for me..?
Posted by: angelleye (---.mci.googlefiber.net)
Date: May 21, 2015 06:36PM

I have WAMP installed on my local development machine, and I have quite a few virtual servers configured on it that have always worked just fine for me (and most of them still are.)

For some reason, though, one of my virtual servers is no longer working. The DNS is still pointing to my IP address here, but it's loading my router admin login instead of using the directory I have setup for the site. It worked just fine ever since I configured it until today, suddenly this one site isn't working.

My DNS points fiber.mydomain.com to my IP address here. Then, in /wamp/bin/apache/apache2.4.9/conf/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf I have the following configured.

<VirtualHost *:80>
DocumentRoot "D:/Websites/fiber.mydomain.com"
ServerName fiber.mydomain.com
ErrorLog "logs/fiber.mydomain.com-error.log"
CustomLog "logs/fiber.mydomain.com-access.log" common
<directory "D:/Websites/fiber.mydomain.com">
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride all
Require all granted
</directory>
</VirtualHost>

This has been working for months until today. For some reason this one site no longer loads, and instead it just loads my default router admin login as if I didn't have any virtual server setup for this domain. All of my other virtual hosts are working just fine still.

I have no idea what to do to troubleshoot this because I've never had this problem and everything is still configured exactly the same way all my other virtual servers are configured and they're still working fine.

Any information on how I can get this resolved would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: Upon further investigation it seems that there are a number of vhosts that are not working for me now. About half of them are still working fine, but the other half is loading my router login page as if I had browsed to 192.168.1.1 instead of loading the directory I have it configured to load. These were all working perfectly fine until today. I have no idea what could have changed to cause this..??

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2015 06:59PM by angelleye.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Virtual server in WAMP suddenly not working for me..?
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: May 21, 2015 06:58PM

Hi,

In a command windows on wamp/bin/apache/apache2.4.9/bin/ type the followiing command:
httpd.exe -t -D DUMP_VHOSTS
To see what are the "real" VirtualHosts seen by Apache.

Also look in the hosts file if it would not have been surreptitiously changed.
See if all your VirtualHosts are declared in the hosts file.

In a command windows type the following commands
ipconfig /flushdns
net stop dnscache
net start dnscache
net stop wampapache
net start wampapache

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: May 21, 2015 07:11PM

Thanks for your response.

When I run the httpd.exe command I see a list of all the virtual hosts I would expect to see, including the ones that are not working for me right now.

My hosts file still looks good. I actually configure DNS on my live web server to point to my machine here so the sites are publicly accessible, so I wasn't using my local hosts file to configure DNS for these domains anyway. Just for fun, I did go ahead and add fiber.mydomain.com to my hosts file, and then it started working again, but I need it to be publicly accessible.

I checked the DNS on my web server and it's still setup the way it always has been with these domains pointing to my IP address here.

I ran ipconfig /flushdns as well as stopped and started dnscache as you stated. When I try to run wampapache I get an error that it doesn't exist, however, I did restart Apache through the WAMP tool.

None of that seems to be making any difference. sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2015 07:14PM by angelleye.

Date: May 21, 2015 09:40PM

After realizing that things were working when I updated my local hosts file it dawned on me that the traffic isn't getting routed to this machine like it should be on my network.

Then I discovered that Google had pushed updates to our Fiber routers that broke all of our port forwarding. Doh!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.