Installing WAMP on non-OS drive
Posted by: foxdenvixen (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: May 21, 2015 03:42PM

I am in the process of building a new computer. I will have the OS drive, a separate application only drive and a data drive. I want to install WAMP on the application drive and not have anything from WAMP embedded on the OS drive. I have been doing a lot of research on this and it seems that it is possible. I have also read that there are also problems with this. I just want to make sure that this is doable and what steps, if any, I need to take to accomplish this. After this is figured out, I then need to do research on installing Ruby on the application drive.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Installing WAMP on non-OS drive
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: May 21, 2015 04:08PM

Hi,

You can install Wampserver 2.5 on any drive or partition you want. Mine is installed into J:\wamp\.
You just whether a disk or partition internal to the PC, not a network drive.
But local sites can, themselves, be on a network drive, from the moment they are declared VirtualHost.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: May 21, 2015 04:12PM

Thank you for your quick reply. I am glad that this is possible so I don't end up cluttering the OS drive. Now on to research for installing Ruby on non-OS drive! winking smiley

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: May 21, 2015 04:45PM

Hi,

Could I just add that it is highly preferable to install Wampserver at the root of a disk or partition and a folder name without spaces or diacritical characters. (No éèàçñ just pure ASCII).

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: May 21, 2015 04:55PM

Perfect. I will install at the root of the app drive.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.