Cannot open localhost
Posted by: sfakos (---.79.107.42.tellas.gr)
Date: July 27, 2011 06:48PM

Hallo guys,

I am new and i tried to install wamp 2.1 64bit version.

I installed it but when i tried to open the localhost i get an error message saying that the "web page cannot be found".

What i shall do??

Thanks in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cannot open localhost
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: July 28, 2011 12:22AM

Make sure no other program conflict Wamp such as IIS, Microsoft Web Deploy, SQL, Skype, Zonealarm, firewall/antivirus, NOD32, Eset, any web related program including Remote Desktop, Teamviewer ...

IIS and Apache/Wamp are both web server and might conflict in some way, so you have to disable IIS in order for Wamp to work

Disable IIS in Vista/W7:

Control Panel, Uninstall Programs, Turn Widows Features On or Off, uncheck Internet Information Services

Disable IIS in XP:

Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Add/Remove Windows Components, uncheck Internet Information Services (IIS)

Restart computer, then restart Wamp

Also, in folder C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc, open file hosts and delete anything in this file and have only this line below and nothing else

127.0.0.1 localhost

If using Skype, open Skype > Tools > Options > Advanced > Connection then uncheck "use port 80..." restart Wamp then Skype

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: hebrews1316 (---.singnet.com.sg)
Date: July 29, 2011 01:54AM

Hi sfakos,

In reference to the Moderator's response, Apache web server is defaulted to use Port 80, so, if your IIS is using Port 80, you might want to consider to change it to other port number, such as Port 8080, via IIS in Computer Management plug-in.

Cheers

Posted by: chagrilama (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: July 29, 2011 04:49AM

Hi - hope you or someone can help!!! Installed Wampserver 2.0 and 2.1 on Windows/XP, Vista, and Win7. NO IIS, NO Skype, NO Microsoft Web Deploy, NO SQL, NO NOD32, NO Eset, NO any web related program including Remote Desktop, Teamviewer ...

have Zonealarm and Microsoft firewall/antivirus, Ad-Aware, on the XP machine Avast.

Wamp 2.0 and Wamp 2.1 WORKED for awhile, and very well on Vista and WinXP. Then stopped. No idea why. Nothing special added or changed that I can point to.

Installed Win7 and Wamp 2.0 or 2.1 never worked there...

Some said: Make sure no conflicts with Zonealarm. What EXACTLY should I look for in ZoneAlarm to indicate it conflicts? How to turn it off?

This is a valuable tool and without it I am dead in the water in a heavy development project.

Many many thanks in advance for any ideas, solution, directions to look for - anything...

C-L

Unable to connect localhost
Posted by: PALETTE4WEB (---.178.74.48.bol.net.in)
Date: July 29, 2011 10:27AM

Hallo guys,

I am new and i tried to install wamp 2.1 64bit version.

I installed it but when i tried to open the localhost i get an error message saying that the "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost."

if I am trying to open phpMyAdmin then error messag is same.

What i shall do??

Thanks in advance

Posted by: boris_m (---.dsl.sura.ru)
Date: August 14, 2011 02:56AM

Make sure no other program conflict Wamp such as IIS, Microsoft Web Deploy, SQL, Skype, Zonealarm, firewall/antivirus, NOD32, Eset, any web related program including Remote Desktop, Teamviewer or Apache, MySQL, PHP outside wamp folder (ie. in Program Files or System32 folder) ...

IIS and Apache/Wamp are both web server and might conflict in some way, so you have to disable IIS in order for Wamp to work

Disable IIS in Vista/W7:

Control Panel, Uninstall Programs, Turn Widows Features On or Off, uncheck Internet Information Services

Disable IIS in XP:

Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Add/Remove Windows Components, uncheck Internet Information Services (IIS)

Restart computer, then restart Wamp

Also, in folder C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc, open file hosts and delete anything in this file and have only this line below and nothing else

127.0.0.1 localhost

If using Skype, open Skype > Tools > Options > Advanced > Connection then uncheck "use port 80..." restart Wamp then Skype

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: August 14, 2011 03:14AM

have Zonealarm and Microsoft firewall/antivirus, Ad-Aware, on the XP machine Avast.
You have to get rid of Zonealarm and uninstall Avast and Ad-aware and reinstall Avast and Ad-aware after install Wamp successful, but no more Zonealarm since even you set the proper permission for Wamp in Zonealarm, it might let Wamp run for awhile then prevent Wamp to run again

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: August 14, 2011 03:58AM

I followed this BEFORE I WROTE MY question - totally ineffective. It was also ineffective for other people. Maybe time to revise the text you post?

Date: August 14, 2011 04:05AM

Sorry - this sounded like make-work, but I did it anyway. ZERO effect. Of course I have another machine with similar setup and Wamp server works there fine. In short - Zonealarm, Avast, and AdAware ARE NOT AT ALL the problem here. The only thing that CHANGED was a new version of Wampserver - and suddenly all these other programs go nuts?

In any case - this is NOT the issue.

Meanwhile, installed EasyPHP. Runs on ALL varieties of operating systems: WinXP, Vista, Win7 - AND WITH all those "bad programs" ZoneAlarm, Avast, Adaware.

Sounds weird that they are all faluted when the only that changed was Wamperver version.

Maybe it is time to look deeper into the problem and seeing why the NEW wampserver has troubles running in an environment where it ran FINE FOR A LOOOOONG time!

(I apologize for the impatience in my tone, but I worked many years in my life as tech support and it is hard to hear again the blame fly in a totally illogical direction.)

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras1.srl.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: August 14, 2011 08:32AM

its simple.. wampserver follows rules

all those other programs dont.

if you want me to take a look at it with teamviewer ,i can

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Posted by: boris_m (---.dsl.sura.ru)
Date: August 14, 2011 11:03AM

I use wamp 2.1a on Windows XP 32-bit. Sometimes after installation of wamp it didn't start (had orange icon at system tray). Sometimes a restart of computer helped to get a green icon, sometimes a reinstallation of wamp. I don't know why, but it worked. Strange problems need strange solutions smiling smiley.

Posted by: bruno99 (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: August 14, 2011 11:25AM

I installed wamp, latest version.

I got it up and running one time then uninstalled it because I wanted to add my mail server/address, resinstalled and now I can connect to the local host.

i ran some port thing through cmd prompt and it shows port 80 listening along with port 3060 or whatever it was...that was listening too.

i have firewalls disabled.

im new to all this so speak like ur talking to a moron.

frustrating.

going to bed.

Posted by: guyb (---.dsl.scarlet.be)
Date: February 21, 2012 03:44PM

solution for [conflict Avast - localhost not found] that works for me smiling smiley
1)in apache httpd.conf change items Servername and Listen: change port 80 to 8888
2)avast: firewall; add packet rule to allow TCP traffic for 127.0.0.1:8888

Hope this works for you to.
Guy

Posted by: scribe (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2012 03:01AM

I have wamp 2.2d-x64 installed on win7x64. Suddenly localhost and phpMyAdmin are not being displayed in Firefox. It attempts to connect infinitely but if I restart services in wamp I get the followin page result. Skype is installed and port 80/443 is unchecked. windows firewall is off and no antiviri is running. I uninstalled skype and reinstalled wamp but still same problem. 127.0.0.1 has same problem and hosts file does have entry 127.0.0.1 pointing to Localhost. I have no idea why it wont run anymore. Please help.

Unable to connect
The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2012 03:08AM by scribe.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.