can only access from localhost
Posted by: klawrence (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2012 05:27AM

Hi, I am using WAMP server 2.2, and the task tray icon is green. When i left click it, I am offered the option of putting OFF line, therefore I think it is online. This is the default when I launch the "Start WampServer" shortcut that appears when I do windowskey-search->"wamp". Which is contrary to what I have read should be the default..

Anyway, I have configured my router to forward port 80 to 192.168.2.7, which is the ip of this machine. Still, I can't access it from my blackberry (the only other machine on at the moment), and neither can a remote friend using the ip provided by google when I search for "my ip". Accessing from the localhost running wamp works fine of course.

My computer has been put to sleep and then awaken, could this be an issue? Everything else network-related is working so I never gave it a second thought until typing this message. Thanks, Ken

ps, WAMP is so helpful to my website development, thanks for putting it together!

Pps, I have checked the router logs and it is showing that my phone is trying to access this machine's port 80, so I don't believe this is a router issue. I am going to reboot (sigh)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2012 05:30AM by klawrence.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: can only access from localhost
Date: February 21, 2012 05:40AM

Hi, I have rebooted and am getting the smae connection timed out error. I did notice that upon starting the server this time, WAMP was set offline by default. Anyway I put it Online and I still cannot access from remote. Any ideas?

btw -- I realize that I probably have to reinstall Magento using the 192.168.2.7 ip as local host instead of using 127.0.0.1 which is what I used, but I currently am just trying to access the WAMP jump page.

Another edit -- sometimes I get Connection timed out message from the browser, and sometimes it is HTTP Error 504: Gateway Timed Out

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2012 05:44AM by klawrence.

Re: can only access from localhost
Date: February 21, 2012 06:02AM

OK you can delete this thread. Even when I had turned off the blackberry's mobile network so that it was forced to use wifi, after I double checked the logs, I realized that the incoming request on port 80 was not actually coming from 192.168.2.x -- but rather the ip for "help.krypt.com". I have no idea what that was, maybe some kind of weird blackberry proxy bull crap. But even so, I have no idea how it would have known to go to my ip, since I was using the 192.168.2.7 address in the url. I mean, it would have the information of my lan's external ip, but that is still weird isn't it?

Anyway I went to Pingdom and it is seeing the server. It can't access magento as I suspected due to me not using the right ip address during installation, so I'll just fix that. Thanks, sorry to disturb!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.