Using Dropbox to host my Website
Posted by: jribeiro (---.195.114.89.rev.vodafone.pt)
Date: April 15, 2015 01:00PM

Hi,

I've recently installed Wampserver and WordPress on both office and home computers.

To access my files from both locations, I put WWW and Data directories on Dropbox and modified http.conf, my.ini and wp-config.php accordingly but at the office I'm not seeing changes that I've made at home. I don't know what's wrong. Can you help me figuring this out?

Below is the information required:
1 - Windows version used (Specify version number AND whether 32 or 64 bit)
Win7 64bit on both computers.

2 - Version WampServer (Specify version number AND whether 32 or 64 bit)
Wampserver 2.5 64bit on both computers.

3 - Apache Version
Apache 2.4.9

4 - PHP Version
PHP 5.5.12

5 - MySQL Version
MySQL 5.6.17

6 - What color is the WampServer icon (in the notification area of the taskbar)
Green

7 - In the file c:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts, what are the active lines with the name [localhost] in them?
* Active means no # at the beginning of the line.
127.0.0.1 localhost

If the WampServer icon is green:

8 - Do you have access to localhost (Homepage WampServer)?
Yes, I have but I see different websites.

9 - Do you have access to phpMyAdmin?
Yes, I have but at the office I'm not seeing one database that I have in the Data directory on Dropbox.

10 - If you refer to an error message, please include the EXACT wording of the error in your post
No error messages.

11 - If you use an Antivirus and / or Firewall, please include the names of these
BitDefender

12 - What is the full path to the installation of WampServer (eg D:\wamp\)
C:\wamp on both computers.

Thanks in advance.
J. Ribeiro

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Using Dropbox to host my Website
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as43234.net)
Date: April 15, 2015 09:24PM

I can only think that you missed something in the my.ini file

Also remember this is an OK idea only if you dont try developing in two places at the same time. Remember MySQL wont be able to manage the databases correctly if 2 people are amending databases from 2 different locations using 2 different MySQL servers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: jribeiro (---.195.114.89.rev.vodafone.pt)
Date: April 17, 2015 02:12PM

Hi RiggsFolly,

Thanks for your time answering my question.
The only thing I changed in my.ini was the datadir path (c:\users\jribeiro\dropbox\apps\wordpress\data).
I'm not trying to develop in two places at the same time.
For now, I gave up using Dropbox and I'm using WP2DB plugin to backup files.

Best regards,
J. Ribeiro

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: April 17, 2015 03:27PM

Hi,

> The only thing I changed in my.ini was the datadir path (c:\users\jribeiro\dropbox\apps\wordpress\data).
Warning: Change the path of MySQL databases (datadir =) does not change it only for your databases but also for own necessary databases for MySQL, for example the base data/mysql/
The ability to let the MySQL databases locally and your own otherhand is to use juntions (symbolic links for folders) in the mysqlx.yz/data/ directory that point to your databases, but I think it is not possible with Dropbox.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.