Apache Access Log
Posted by: Wolf_22 (---.prtg.in.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 13, 2015 01:01AM

I'm using WAMP Server 2.2 on my Windows 7 machine. The version of Apache it's using is 2.2.22 and what I'm trying to understand is why the access log doesn't appear to log my request in Firefox.

What happened is this: I emptied the log file by shutting down all the services and deleting everything in the log. I then saved it in order to save an empty log. No big deal, right? Well, after I did this, I visited a site I have in my server but then went and re-opened the access log only to find that it was still blank.

Why is this? Shouldn't there be at least 1 request entry in the access log file? What am I missing here?

Any insight into this is appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Apache Access Log
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as43234.net)
Date: April 13, 2015 11:45AM

Hi Wolf,

Do the removal again, i.e.
Stop all services,
Delete all files in \wamp\logs,
DONT RECREATE THE LOG FILES,
START All Service again,

the log files are created automatically as and when they are required by Apache/PHP/MySQL etc.

Then try accessing a few pages on one of your sites.
Sometimes it takes a few accesses for apache to flush its buffers into the access log.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: 5kKate (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2015 09:08PM

I agree with @RiggsFolly. It's probably a permissions issue.

Posted by: Wolf_22 (184.16.184.---)
Date: April 17, 2015 01:25AM

I did what RiggsFolly advised and now, every time I click on the tiny green "W" icon in the bottom-right of the task bar and go to "Apache / Apache access log", I get a Windows 7
annoyance message (ha) indicating the following:

"Could not find the D:\wamp\logs\access.log file.
Do you want to create a new file?"

I haven't created anything, clicking on "No" each time it comes up, but should I? It clearly isn't / hasn't created a new log file on its own... I'm not sure what to do at this point.

Thoughts? (And thanks for the help with all this.)

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as43234.net)
Date: April 17, 2015 01:32AM

You wont get anything in the access.log file until you actually access something via Apache.

In other words when you launch localhost ( wampmanager -> localhost ) apache will be accessed and the log will be written to.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: April 20, 2015 04:00AM

RiggsFolly, I've accessed multiple pages within localhost. For example, I've accessed "[localhost"];, "[localhost];, "[localhost];, "[localhost];, and more...

I still get the message about "Could not find..." (see above) and I've restarted WAMP multiple times (even restarted the computer since doing what you advised, too).

Still no dice.

It's as if it's either unable to create the log or else it's as if it's unable to recognize when I access a page within my server. I'd hate to think this is a permissions issue since this is my home computer, but anything is possible I guess. This is as strange as dark matter.

Thoughts?

Date: April 20, 2015 04:06AM

You guys, I figured it out--it was totally my stupid fault.

Awhile back, I changed the location of the "common" log location but not the "combined" log location that I started using awhile thereafter... Long (and idiotic) story short, I wasn't indicating the proper folder locations of the "combined" log file location.

After changing this to the proper path, everything worked. smiling smiley

Thanks again, guys. Major life savers. Were it not for you guys, I wouldn't have known where to track this down. Keep up the great work!

Posted by: 5kKate (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: April 23, 2015 07:43PM

Glad you were able to get it figured out!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.