UNC Alias results in Client denied by server
Posted by: wizzbangca (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 10, 2011 04:27AM

Trying to setup a virtual test web server. That works with wamp, except for one major problem. I have a network share on the host system \\abc\websites\site\public._html that has the website I am working on. I want the website files on the host so I can edit them without the server being turned on, or having to copy the files to the test server as I edit them. I created an alias that has the following in the configuration:

Alias /site "\\abc\Websites\site\public_html/"

<Directory "\\abc\Websites\site\public_html/">
Options ExecCGI Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
AllowOverride all
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>

When I go to access /site, i get a forbidden page. The share's permissions are read/write for everyone with password protected sharing turned off. The host is windows 7. In Windows Explorer on the guest server (windows 2008) I can read and write to the share without any problems or having to log in. Error log shows client denied by server configuration: C:/ABC

What gives? Anyone have any idea?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: UNC Alias results in Client denied by server
Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras1.srl.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: October 10, 2011 05:48AM

Firstly map the drive with a letter

but i dont think Alias don't work on network drives

you should try virtual hosts

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2011 07:39AM by stevenmartin99.

Date: October 10, 2011 08:05PM

Oh great, now default wamp aliases don't work, i get 403 instread. I use phpmyadmin all the time. Wonderful. I have access to the website I am working on, I think. Without phpmyadmin, i don't know.

Yeah, virtual servers won't work for me. I have over 3 dozen websites I am working on. I need them to be aliases. I'm not throwing 36 virtual hosts into my clients host file, no way. The only way to get this going is turn my client system into a server. And that doesn't even work. Fresh install of wamp and I get forbidden on wamp's home directory.

What a pain. over 72 hours of bull shitting around to make development easier for me and I am still nowhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2011 08:23PM by wizzbangca.

Date: October 10, 2011 08:06PM

teamviewer?

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Date: October 10, 2011 08:23PM

What do you mean by teamviewer?

Date: October 10, 2011 08:25PM

ill take a look if you like using teamviwer...

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Date: October 10, 2011 09:00PM

Now I am getting somewhere. I commented all the deny from all lines and added Allow from all in all the aliases and the home directory. Now I have access to everything again and the virtual host seems to be almost cooperating. I have swiss cheesed my security, but oh well. Fix that later.

Now joomla just won't work. Even on a new installation, joomla exceeds the 30 second execution limit. Kinda strange.

Date: October 10, 2011 09:03PM

Now I am getting somewhere. I commented all the deny from all lines and added Allow from all in all the aliases and the home directory. Now I have access to everything again and the virtual host seems to be almost cooperating. I have swiss cheesed my security, but oh well. Fix that later.

Now joomla just won't work. Even when installing, joomla exceeds the 30 second execution limit. Kinda strange.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.