WordPress Multisite Error
Posted by: jmwright1058 (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: March 10, 2015 06:06AM

When I turn on rewrite_module in apache, I get the following in the Apache Error log:

[Mon Mar 09 19:55:17.324413 2015] [authz_core:error] [pid 8068:tid 1008] [client ::1:58997] AH01630: client denied by server configuration: C:/Apache24, referer: [jwswpmultisite]
[Mon Mar 09 19:55:31.947157 2015] [rewrite:error] [pid 8068:tid 980] [client ::1:59053] AH00670: Options FollowSymLinks and SymLinksIfOwnerMatch are both off, so the RewriteRule directive is also forbidden due to its similar ability to circumvent directory restrictions : E:/AAJWsWPMultiSiteNetwork/src/wp-admin

Here's my .htaccess file contents:
This is what was instructed by WordPress Installation
[premium.wpmudev.org]

Is there a good write-up on how to get WordPress Multisite working with WAMPServer?

It seemed to be working fine to the point where I defined the Network, had the 'main' site working, but after I defined a new site, it all fell apart.

I can setup WordPress sites one at a time no problem, it's multisite that seems to fall apart.

Setup Information:
1 - Windows 8.1 Professional - 64 bit
2 - WAMPServer Version 2.5 - 64 bit
3 - Apache Version 2.4.9
4 - PHP Version 5.5.12
5 - MySQL Version 5.5.32, 5.5.40, 5.6.19, 5.6.21 (all working)
6 - WampServer icon is Green

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WordPress Multisite Error
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as43234.net)
Date: March 10, 2015 10:55AM

Did you leave this garbage ( example) code in the httpd-vhost.conf file?

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerAdmin webmaster@dummy-host.example.com
    DocumentRoot "c:/Apache24/docs/dummy-host.example.com"
    ServerName dummy-host.example.com
    ServerAlias www.dummy-host.example.com
    ErrorLog "logs/dummy-host.example.com-error.log"
    CustomLog "logs/dummy-host.example.com-access.log" common
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerAdmin webmaster@dummy-host2.example.com
    DocumentRoot "c:/Apache24/docs/dummy-host2.example.com"
    ServerName dummy-host2.example.com
    ErrorLog "logs/dummy-host2.example.com-error.log"
    CustomLog "logs/dummy-host2.example.com-access.log" common
</VirtualHost>

If so delete it from that file and restart Apache.

Is there a good write-up on how to get WordPress Multisite working with WAMPServer?

I dont know if they are good but there are some out there,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: March 10, 2015 04:07PM

Thanks, RiggsFolly,

No, my httpd-vhost.conf file only has my virtual hosts, and they all work until I get fairly far along in enabling multisite, then all my Virtual hosts fail to work.
Then, as soon as I delete the specific WordPress installation directory where I'm setting up multisite, all my Virtual Hosts come back to full functionality.

Do you know what the following error means?

[Tue Mar 10 08:58:23.328468 2015] [rewrite:error] [pid 7912:tid 1032] [client ::1:56106] AH00670: Options FollowSymLinks and SymLinksIfOwnerMatch are both off, so the RewriteRule directive is also forbidden due to its similar ability to circumvent directory restrictions : E:/AAJWsWPMultiSiteNetwork/src/

Date: March 10, 2015 04:55PM

I think I read a few hours ago, that those options must be on for multi site to work.

So add then to the virtual host definitions like so, where you probably have

Options Indexes FollowSymLinks

Options Indexes FollowSymLinks SymLinksIfOwnerMatch

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: March 11, 2015 05:51AM

Thanks, RiggsFolly,

That was it!
At least half of it. The other issue was using caps in my sub-directories and not my Virtual host names; Oops!

You are a god!

Really, though, thanks alot.

Multisite is running flawlessly, now.

Date: March 11, 2015 11:12AM

Great,

I have a question, are you running Multi as Subdomain or subfolder?

Date: March 11, 2015 04:44PM

I think it's a sub-domain, however, I don't know the difference.

Maybe you could describe the difference?

Here's how it's setup:
I created a WAMPServer Virual site which points to x:\mywpmultisite.
I then open phpmyadmin and create a new MySQL database.
Then, from File Manager, I right-click on a directory (x:\mywordpressmulti), then left-click on SVN checkout...
I enter ....\tags\4.1 in the URL of repository and then enter ...\4.1 as the destination directory.
This loads WordPress 4.1 files.
This allows me to have a separate WordPress install for each stable version. From within WordPress, I can update each of these to a newer stable version, however, having the separate versions allows me to exercise my site on each of the versions, to see what version exhibits an issue I'm seeing. This might allow me to pin-point a feature that caused it by looking at the list of changes in the WordPress update history.

I then click on my WAMPServer Virtual site link, this presents me with the wordpress directory in my browser.I then click on src\ to start the WordPress install. I enter the information such as site name, MySQL database name, login, password, etc.
At this point WordPress is running 'non-multisite'.

I then edit my wp-config.php to include the WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE = true
I then log in again to my new WordPress site and click on Network Setup (which is newly visible).
I enter the network name and then click install.
I then add more edits to wp_config and .htaccess per WordPress.
I then log in again and define 2 new sites in the Network Admin area.
In the Network Admin area I load any new Themes and plugins I want and make them available for all my other sites by clicking on Network Enable. I can then go to each of the separate site dashboards and select theme and enable plugins.

Please don't take every step literally, since I may have missed one in this write-up.
But, can you tell me whether this is a sub-domain or a sub-folder?

If this is a sub-domain, how would I set it up as a sub-folder?

If this is a sub-folder, how would I set it up as a sub-domain?

John

Date: March 12, 2015 12:33AM

In the browser it shows a sub-directory in the address, however, there is no actual sub-directory there.

I guess mod_rewrite is doing the re-direction, right?

Does this mean it is doing a subdomain?

Date: March 12, 2015 10:52AM

Hi,

Basically I thought I was one page ahead of you in the WordPress Multi Site manual. Now it looks like you have not even read the documentation.

I was rather hoping I might get some useful feedback for the next time someone asks about WP multi. I guess not.

Date: March 12, 2015 03:39PM

OK, RiggsFolly,

I'll take my medicine and get back to you.
You've helped me get this far.

Date: March 12, 2015 06:22PM

OK, so, I have my WordPress Multisite setup as sub-directories.
As it says in the WordPress Manual 'It's easier'

I've also seen comments to the effect that sub-directory configurations get better google ratings, however, I can't prove this myself.

The reason I'm investigating multisite is to reduce administration time.

Since neither of my current hosting accounts support multisite, I'll be postponing this part of development til I upgrade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.