Homepage prob
Posted by: kevsy (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: February 25, 2015 01:04PM

MY problem... I cannot access files from 'Your Projects' in the Homepage.
The files located here can be accessed by keying into the url and everything else seems to be functioning ok.
I would appear to be having a path problem, I need some pointers.

My setup is
1. Windows 7 Premium Home. Bit rate not specified
1a. The computer is 64bit
2. Wampserver2.5 32bit
3. Apache Version 2.4.9
4. PHP Version 5.5.12
5. MySQL Verson 5.6.17
6. Icon goes to 'green'

7. In the file c:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
2 lines are hashed:
Line 20 # 127.0.0.1 localhost
Line 21 # ::1 localhost

and
2 lines not hashed:
Line 23 127.0.0.1 localhost
Line 24 127.0.0.1 localhost

8. Localhost (Homepage Server) accessed OK
9. PHPMyadmin accessed OK
10. Error message = 'Server not found' after trying to access via 'Your Projects'
10a. File accessable without error message if keyed into the url
11. Anti Virus = AVG
12 path = C:\wamp

kevsy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2015 01:15PM by kevsy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Homepage prob
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as43234.net)
Date: February 25, 2015 02:00PM

Hi kev

Here you go [forum.wampserver.com]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: February 25, 2015 05:19PM

Hello Riggs my 'ol china.

Thanks for the reply.

I was doing ok until the end of section 2 then I couldn't locate the 'Run as Administrator Menu Option' in order to stop and start the dnscache.

I'm not the brightest.

kev

Date: February 25, 2015 06:21PM

Click Start
In the search box enter 'command', you should see 'command window processor' appear in the list.

Right click on 'command window processor' and click the menu item 'Run as Administrator'

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: February 26, 2015 12:20AM

Hello again Riggs my 'ol cockney.

Keying 'command' into the search box brings up a selection of files but not the 'command window processor'.

The only file that can be right clicked and run as 'Administrator' is the one at the top 'Command Prompt'.

This action opens black 'dos' type screen titled 'Administrator: Command Prompt' with a command line set at
c:\Windows\system32>

If that's not it is there any other way of locating the file I require?

We will win. We're getting there.... slowly

kev

Date: February 26, 2015 02:12AM

Thats it. Use the 'Command Prompt'

Posted by: rpjd (79.97.242.---)
Date: March 04, 2015 02:29AM

Step 2 of creating the Virtual Hosts is a problem. After editing the file and clicking save, I'm asked if the file is open in another program, it won't save. I got an alert from my Antivirus that it blocked access to the hosts file. I unticked 'Protect Windows hosts files from changes' but I still can't save changes to hosts file.
Any suggestion?

Date: March 04, 2015 10:16AM

The \windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file is protected by Windows itself, and not AVG.

You have to edit the file while your privilages are raised to Administrator in order to save it.

Look down the document at Step 2, there is a link in that section to a help page that tells you how to edit a file using "Run As Administrator"

Also remove the commented entried in HOSTS and make sure you have at least

127.0.0.1  localhost
::1  localhost

in there before adding your new domains

Posted by: rpjd (79.97.242.---)
Date: March 04, 2015 11:42AM

Thanks, got it working. Had to give myself as a user (not Admin) full control privileges on hosts file. Was able to save changes.

Date: March 04, 2015 12:02PM

Thats not the way to do it, but whatever.

Like I said just launch your editor using Shift+Right click on the editor icon, then select "Run as Administrator" from the menu.

Date: March 12, 2015 11:08AM

Hello Riggsy baby.

Thanks for your help, managed to get the thing to function ok, now to download 'Laravel'

2 minor things. In my Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts I commented out the lines with the double colon and it didn't seem to have any effect or cause a problem, erring on the side of caution I'll leave it as it was.

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 project1
127.0.0.1 php_tutorials

:: localhost
:: project1
:: php_tutorials

The other thing is I have 2 files 'catroot' and 'catroot2' in my Windows\System32\ that have locks aagainst them, I just need to know if this is normal or something that happened through the process of installing Wamp 2.5, if I need to have them unlocked have you got any idea hhow I go about it.

Thanks again Riggs.

kev

Date: March 12, 2015 11:24AM

Kev,

2 minor things. In my Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts I commented out the lines with the double colon and it didn't seem to have any effect or cause a problem, erring on the side of caution I'll leave it as it was.

Ignored, probably because they are invalid!

The hosts file should look like this :-

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 project1
127.0.0.1 php_tutorials

::1  localhost
::1   project1
::1   php_tutorials

::1 (colon colon one) is the IPV6 equivalent to 127.0.0.1 i.e the loopback address meaning [this pc] to network related code. Put it as I suggest above.

REASON: Browsers make an arbitrary decision to use either the IPV4 stack or the IPV6 stack when you use localhost in the browser address bar.

by arbitrary I mean I dont know what makes them pick one or the other

As time goes on, more and more will be done on the IPV6 stack and more and more will stop using the IPV4 stack.

If you dont have the ::1 IPV6 association to localhost (::1 localhost) things will start to go wrong.

the \windows\system32\catroot and \windows\system32\catroot2 are something to do with Windows Update. LEAVE THEM ALONE. Not sure what drew your attention to thise specific files? They are nothing to do with WAMPServer, unless that is where the link to WAMPServer's uninstall script is held by windows.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.