403 error
Posted by: jasonw (---.cm.volcano.net)
Date: July 17, 2011 08:25PM

so I did a search but none of the fixes worked. I transfered all my files to a new computer after installing Wamp, Uploaded my DB's set all the network and firewall setting to the same thing as the other computer, set port forwarding to the new computers ip and still get a 403 error. the website is dailyreptilenews.com any ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 403 error
Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras1.srl.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: July 17, 2011 08:45PM

403?????

Left Click Wamp > PUT ONLINE

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2011 06:14AM by stevenmartin99.

Posted by: jasonw (---.cm.volcano.net)
Date: July 17, 2011 08:49PM

i'm not a computer wiz but I amnot that stupid, tried it several times. same result

Date: July 17, 2011 08:52PM

403 means access denied.. so wamp is offline OR you changed something in a config file that has restricted the access

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Posted by: markzenit (---.14-2.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: July 18, 2011 03:45AM

Steven - I find it highly annoying that you would take the time to answer a post that a genuine user is having a hard time finding the answer to, in such an unconstructive and rude manner.

You mocked him, which only serves to make you look silly as you seem to have no insight into the problem, no understanding of the question, and you give a wrong answer for your own understanding to the initial post - not having WAMP switched on would not give a 403 error.

WAMP provides by default some basic security measures that rejects access from anywhere apart from localhost - the computer hosting the server.

To get the desired effect your after, simply edit the httpd.conf settings file then comment out the below lines by making sure the first character on the line is a #, on those mentioning 'Deny from all' ;

first change;

#
<Directory />
Options FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride None
Order deny,allow
# Deny from all
</Directory>

second change;

# onlineoffline tag - don't remove
Order Allow,Deny
Allow from all
# Deny from all

</Directory>

Date: July 18, 2011 05:53AM

MarkZenit click here

how many posts do i have on this forum?

You have Absolutly no idea what your talking about!

i find it highly annoying that you would come onto here to write a post that you have no experience to talk about and give someone WRONG answers which would destroy their wampserver setup

NOW i will have to spend my time getting the moderator to delete your post so that other people dont mess up their wampserver setup too.

The Only Person who looks silly is you.

I Did NOT give a Wrong Answer to his initial post.- i gave him the MOST COMMON issue people have when using WampServer Over the Internet and receive a 403 error

"WAMP provides by default some basic security measures that rejects access from anywhere apart from localhost - the computer hosting the server... - not having WAMP switched on would not give a 403 error. "

You wrote this as if you built WampServer! But in fact you couldnt be more wrong!!!

The ONLINE/OFFLINE Feature of WAMPSERVER does EXACTLY WHAT YOU SAID TO DO.

It changes this section of code FROM

#   onlineoffline tag - don't remove
Order Deny,Allow
Deny from all
Allow from 127.0.0.1"

to

#   onlineoffline tag - don't remove
Order Allow,Deny
 Allow from all";

Look at c:\wamp\scripts\onlineoffline.php if you dont believe me

And if he did what you said - he would break the ability to use the ONLINE/OFFLINE button because Wamp uses a PHP search function to find the code which it will NOT find now if you have changed the code!

Thats why there is a little WARNING above the code saying
 "#   onlineoffline tag - don't remove"

AND ITS OBVIOUSLY YOUR UNDERSTANDING OF HIS POST THAT WAS INCORRECT - HE WAS TRYING TO ACCESS IT FROM THE INTERNET AND SINCE HE MENTIONED EVERYTHING EXCEPT PUTTING WAMP ONLINE I WROTE IT

WRITING OVER 5000 POSTS TEACHES YOU ONE THING -
"people overlook the simple steps"

Why dont you read my manual on how to do this and stop trying to mess up other peoples wampservers

Manual for Accessing WampServer Over The Internet

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2011 11:57AM by stevenmartin99.

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: July 19, 2011 06:05AM

@ Mark and Steven

First, we're here to help each other, not to fight

Second, 403 would come from too many possibility causes and both of you post the same only 1 solution, just different ways of expression and I'm afraid it's NOT really helping

There are too many reasons that cause 403 and here are some:

1. Set Wamp in Online mode
2. Set Port forward to correct port and IP
3. Set permission for both Apache and MySQL in all firewalls/antiviruses
4. Setup proper VH
5. Setup proper DNS
6. Setup proper htaccess for Wamp; note that your htaccess might work on live hosting, but not on Wamp because those rules work on *nix, but have to rewrite to make them work on Wamp
7. Have proper paths in scripts
8. Have proper URL's in scripts
9. Have proper DB account including DB, username, password

Jason, as mentioned above there are too many to list here and based on your first post, you've already setup the first 3, but I recommend you to recheck to make sure they're correct since sometimes your PC's IP already changed and you didn't know, and of course you have to check the rest of the list winking smiley

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: markzenit (---.14-2.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: July 20, 2011 04:07PM

Steven, your only two options are certainly not correct. WAMP comes setup like that. It will only let you view your server on the computer thats hosting it.

Steven - the tag was edited not removed. Do you edit Fox News by any chance?

I speak from experience, because I had the exact same issue as the OP, and if you look on past forum posts on this very forum, you will see that this method to correct this issue has been posted previously.

If you have made that many posts, it just goes to show what a social failure you are. You have all that experience, but didnt properly read the question, and mocked the guy. Why didnt you post your manual before you had to act like a superior intellect?

I await confidently for the OP to get back to us to tell us how he got on.

Date: July 20, 2011 04:49PM

Ok iv had enough of explaining to you.

your the kind of american that gives the "amercians are stupid" idea to the rest of the world.

TRUST ME ON THAT.

YOU THINK THAT ONLINE/OFFLINE BUTTON IS THERE FOR NOTHING?????????

WAMP comes setup like that. It will only let you view your server on the computer thats hosting it.
UNLESS YOUR NOT AN IDIOT AND CANT LEFT CLICK WAMP ICON AND PRESS PUT ONLINE

IN WHICH CASE IT WOULD NOW BE AVAILABLE ON THE NETWORK OR/AND ONLINE IF PORT FORWARDING IS SET UP

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2011 05:02PM by stevenmartin99.

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: July 21, 2011 12:09AM

Please, guys we're here to help each other, not to fight winking smiley

Mark, Steven have helped a lot of wamp users and even went out of his way to spend his personal private time remotely help other wamp users. I personally know that a lot of time he's used his phone to make a quick short answer to help others and we all know that a quick short answer might not cover everything, but at least it would provide the questioner an idea of what and where to look and sometimes he would figure out the solution from there.

Anyway, my point is happy is always better than upset and I hope you both would handshake and have a beer together winking smiley

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: joserey (---.207.28.186.pldt.net)
Date: July 24, 2011 06:50AM

well amidst all the contentions, i learned something today, heheh.
i've always thought 403 was caused only by 1-3 (yfastud's)
well maybe because somebody helped me before with the 4-9.
but when i first encountered 403, i just 'restarted all services'
and all went well. i guess it was just my luck :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.