Getting syntax error message once I launched wampserver icon from my desktop
Posted by: Gioconda (190.234.76.---)
Date: January 26, 2015 06:11PM

I upgraded wampserver to the latest version, then I got the following error once I tried to launch the wampserver icon:

Aestan Tray Menu
The configuration file contains a syntax error on line 325:
[EParseError] Parameter “Service” specifies an unknown service

Do not know what file I should look for. What is the name of the configuration file and where it is? Do not know about servers. Please help. Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2015 10:16PM by Gioconda.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Getting syntax error message once I lauched wampserver icon from my desktop
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as43234.net)
Date: January 26, 2015 06:43PM

Yes, make sure you have also installed the MSVC 2012 C/C++ runtime.

Seee this doc for assistance finding it. [forum.wampserver.com]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: January 26, 2015 07:10PM

Hi,

This is a typical error of installing a new version over the old WampServer.

It is well explain here: Installing a new release of WAMPServer
NEVER INSTALL A NEW RELEASE OF WAMPServer over an existing installation

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Re: Getting syntax error message once I launched wampserver icon from my desktop
Posted by: Gioconda (---.121.217.145.speedy.net.pe)
Date: January 26, 2015 09:57PM

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your messages. I just realized that the system requirements for wampserver 2.5 are: Windows 7 SP1,.... My operating system is Windows 7 Starter. Can I upgrade to wampserver 2.5 or should I use version 2.2?

Thanks for your reply.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2015 10:15PM by Gioconda.

Posted by: Gioconda (---.121.217.145.speedy.net.pe)
Date: January 26, 2015 10:12PM

Hi,

I already have SP1 installed on my pc. Sorry, there is no need to reply to my previous message.

Posted by: Gioconda (190.232.53.---)
Date: January 27, 2015 01:33AM

Hi,

I have several questions regarding my sql databases. I had drupal 7 installed on my local wampserver, and I have sites created using drupal. I can not longer access wampserver due to I installed the latest version over the old one. My question is: How can I find my databases(sql format) on those sites that are in ..\www subdirectory, and how should I back them up.

Please help, thanks.

Date: January 27, 2015 01:35AM

Did you backup the old WAMPServer before installing over the top?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: Gioconda (190.233.253.---)
Date: January 27, 2015 02:39PM

Hi,

I just backed up the subdirectory "...\www" where my sites reside before installing the new wampserver version, nothing else.

Date: January 27, 2015 04:15PM

Can you look in the \wamp\bin\mysql folder and tell me what subfolders exist in there?

Posted by: Gioconda (190.43.251.---)
Date: January 27, 2015 07:15PM

Hi,

There are 2 subfolders named: mysql5.5.24 and mysql5.6.17, and within them the structure is the same. There are folders such as: bin, data, docs, include, lib, scripts, and share. Besides, there are other files.

Thanks

Re: Getting syntax error message once I launched wampserver icon from my desktop
Posted by: Gioconda (190.235.130.---)
Date: January 27, 2015 10:31PM

Hi,

I have a comment and a question. Firstable, I just want to use the latest version of wampserver, php, mysql, and apache. I am not interested in bringing back the old versions into wampserver 2.5 (unless it is needed) after I proceed with the installation following your procedure. My question is: Does the latest version of mysql read my site´s databases ok or I need to import them? Also, how can I stop all services, remove the apache and mysql service if I can not access the local server panel. Is there a back door to do this? Your procedure states these steps before renaming the wamp folder.

Thanks for your answers.

Date: January 28, 2015 10:24AM

Morning,

Databases created with mysql5.5.24 is not guaranteed to be readable by mysql5.6.17. That was what I was trying to get at with my question. So you will have to switch to the old mysql, backup the databases and then switch to mysql5.6.17 and restore the backups.

We can try this as it is a feature of WAMPServer to be able to easily switch versions of MySQL/Apahce and PHP

My only issue is that as you installed over the top of an existing release, and I am not absolutely sure what damage that may have done.

Anyway lets try this

0. BACK UP ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING in the \wamp folder.

1. Switch to the old version of MySQL

wampmanager -> MYSQL -> Version -> 5.5.24 (click on the version number)

The old version should now be running and able to see the old databases

2. Using phpMyAdmin ( or other tool if you have them )

Expost all YOUR databases, ( that means dont export any that you didnt create like the "mysql" one )

3. Switch back to the new mysql MySQL5.6.17

wampmanager -> MYSQL -> Version -> 5.6.17 (click on the version number)

4. Using phpMyAdmin ( or other tool if you have them )

Import your databases.

You should now be running using the new MySQL and once you are sure (tested your sites can access the data) you can if you wish just delete the folder containing the old MySQL \wamp\bin\mysql\mysql5.5.24 folder (dont rush to do this until you are sure it all works on the new version of MySQL.

You will have to recreate the MySQL user accounts with the correct password and privilages, that were used on the old version of mysql, these will not be present in the new version of mysql, to access these databases.

These are plenty of tutorials on the web for this, but usually its just easier to write them down as part of step 2 and manually recreate them as part of step 4.

Posted by: Gioconda (190.235.114.---)
Date: January 28, 2015 02:50PM

Hi,

As I said before, I can not access the local server panel. How can I access wampmanager? I do not know mysql. I just want to have a fresh instalation of wampserver 2.5 even if I can not read my previous databases. I was trying to upgrade wampserver so I can learn PHP5 and mysql. Could help on this? I just need to know how to stop all services, and remove apache and mysql services or could you tell me what to do in order to have a fresh instalation.

Posted by: Gioconda (190.235.114.---)
Date: January 28, 2015 04:43PM

Riggs,

I have comments, and I hope you take it in the right way. The word "morning" came to me in a very strong way. I rather if you just say hi or good morning. I hope you understand my point of view. Also, I do not understand what "listen to this question in spoken form" mean on the spam prevention section.

On the other hand, I already installed wampserver 5.2 (fresh instalation) and everything works fine, even testing "testmysql.php". The dbpasword I have used is just blank ' '. Check your info on the link you sent to me. The function mysql_connect() is deprecated according to the info on testmysql.php file. It is advisable to use mysqli_connect() instead and this apply to the close function on that file. I hope this helps someone else.

Date: January 28, 2015 06:10PM

Well hello there Gioconda,

The greeting "Morning" is short for "Good Morning" and is normally said in a chirpy way to imply the "Good" part, it does not indicate anything other than a polite greeting.

I will use any greeting I feel like at the time I reply to questions, normally depending upon my mood at the time.

The test script testmysql.php has already been changed in preparation for the next release using MYSQLI_

If you had made your requirements CLEAR in the beginning we could have both saved a lot of time and energy over the last few days.

In closing: I am glad that you have finally managed to install a fresh WAMPServer 2.5, not overwriting any existing installations.
For future reference there is now, and has been for some time now, a post documenting how to SAFELY install a new version of WAMPServer and then move your existing development sites to the newly installed version. It is called Installing a new release of WAMPServer and has been made a STICKY post by the moderator

Posted by: shootingwamprats (---.tokyo.ocn.ne.jp)
Date: February 05, 2015 04:35PM

I did the same thing - upgrading over an existing installation and then finding that nothing worked.

I needed the data from mysql though.

What seems to have worked is as follows:

I renamed the borked wamp folder to wamp_old

I downloaded the latest version of wamp again and did a fresh install into c:\wamp

I copied the old version of mysql from the wamp_old bin folder to the new wamp folder.

I restarted all services. It took a while to show up in wampmanager.

Once it showed up I switched to the old version of mysql, opened phpmyadmin and exported the databases and users. (Note, had to increase memory size to get export/import to work. Exporting all databases just caused hassle, so I did them one at a time.)

THen I switched back to the newer mysql and imported the databases and users. ( Also note, you have to recreate the databases with the same name on the new version and then import the data from the sql dumps).

Then I basically followed the steps in the installation guide linked above (bringing over any changes to conf/ini files and virtual hosts from the wamp_old folder as needed)

Hopefully that'll help if anyone else makes the same mistake.

If I might humbly suggest, it'd be a really good idea to ADD A WARNING IN THE INSTALLER that you shouldn't upgrade and should do a fresh install. In big letters.
That guide in the forum is very useful, but I didn't see anything indicating that I shouldn't upgrade until it was too late. A big warning in the installer would likely save a lot of hassle for folks.

Date: February 05, 2015 06:25PM

Hi Shootin,

I agree, it would be nice, although very few people actually read the existing messages so another would probably not actually help.

When you think about it you get a lot for nothing with WAMPServer, if you want fool proof installs I guess we would all have to start paying for it.

Glad you worked out how to recover, and bothered to post your method. You would also be surprised at how many users dont even know you can switch between versions of Apache/PHP/MySQL with WAMPServer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.