Cannot access My Project from Wamp Server Homepage
Posted by: sameerchowdhury (---.245.79.254.cdma-delhi.vsnl.net.in)
Date: January 24, 2015 05:24PM

I have Win 7-running Wordpress on Wamp Server 2.5.
Here's the issue, I have been trying to get the links for My Project from Wamp Server Homepage to work but to no avail. All I get on clicking on the said homepage is a Webpage not available' response.
I've tried using Virtual Hosts definitions to get the links to work from a Stack Overflow document titled
WAMPServer 2.5 Homepage the Your Projects Menu and Virtual Hosts

and here's my changes to my VHOSTS file (never mind the left margin spacings as they have been appropriately put in and I cannot replicate it here-the following entries are there to give a picture of what I've entered) -
<VirtualHost *:80>
DocumentRoot "c:/wamp/www"
ServerName localhost
ServerAlias localhost
<Directory "c:/wamp/www">
AllowOverride All
Require local
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:80>
DocumentRoot "c:/wamp/www/wpsite"
ServerName wpsite
<Directory "c:/wamp/www/wpsite">
AllowOverride All
Require local
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

the HOSTS file from Windows/System32...-
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# 127.0.0.1 wpsite

# ::1 localhost
# ::1 wpsite

refreshed the Windows Domain Name Cache via command window (as administrator)-
net stop dnscache
net start dnscache

edited HTTPD.CONF file from Wamp Server icon by uncommenting the # in-
#Include conf/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf

then stopped and restarted the Apache service

the Wamp icon was green as it should have been

then edited WAMPMANAGER.TPL by adding ;WAMPVHOSTSUBMENU after ;WAMPPROJECTSUBMENU

refreshed the Wamp icon on tray and the virtual hosts menu showed up with my project .

But yet again, the Project link from the Wamp Server homepage, and from both My Projects and the newly created My Virtual Hosts dont work yielding same 'page not available' response.

I can get my project with localhost/wpsite and dashboard with localhost/wpsite/wp-admin and if I try just wpsite, google search page opens up.

I need virtual host for my projects before moving the site to live server.

I welcome your suggestions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2015 05:33PM by sameerchowdhury.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cannot access My Project from Wamp Server Homepage
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as43234.net)
Date: January 24, 2015 05:58PM

Hi Sameer,

Look again at your hosts file. The '#' signs should be removed, they are comment markers, so your changes will not have been registered with the dnscache

Hosts file should look like this :-

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 wpsite

::1 localhost
::1 wpsite

Then run the
net stop dnscache
net start dnscache
command again

To test that these have worked you can do this from the command line

# to test IPV6 ip address ::1
ping wpsite
# to test IPV6 ip address 127.0.0.1
ping /4 wpsite

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2015 06:01PM by RiggsFolly.

Date: January 25, 2015 12:05AM

Can I assume this solved the problem????

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: sameerchowdhury (---.144.97.14-tataidc.co.in)
Date: January 25, 2015 04:00AM

Thanks for your keen observation. But after making the changes, running the command window, then trying,

C:\Users\Admin>ping wpsite
Ping request could not find host wpsite. Please check the name and try again.

C:\Users\Admin>ping /4 wpsite
Ping request could not find host wpsite. Please check the name and try again.
'
Links still dont work. How do I rectify this?

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2015 03:33AM by sameerchowdhury.

Date: January 26, 2015 09:55AM

Then something is still wrong with the hosts file.

You have to have elevated privilages to edit c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and also to user the 'net stop/netstart' commands. Run a command prompt using the 'Run as Administrator' menu option.

If you cannot ping those domainnames then WAMPServer(Apache) will not be able to find them either.

HOW TO EDIT THE HOSTS FILE
The hosts file is protected by windows, in order to save it you must have Administrator privilages.
Vista/W7/W8 you may think you are an Administrator BUT YOU ARE NOT.

To successfully save the hosts file do this to launch your editor with Admin Privilages.

Locate your editors icon on the desktop or from the Start menus ( notepad will do if you have nothing else )
right click + shift over your chosen editor icon - will show a menu.
select "Run As Administrator" from the menu.
Navigate your editor to the c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file.

When you have made changes you will now be allowed to save them.

Posted by: sameerchowdhury (---.108.97.14-tataidc.co.in)
Date: January 26, 2015 11:04AM

So odd, did exactly as you said, had done same before, but now as was before, saving the file (running as administrator) in notepad++ yields
'Please check if this file is open in another program' message
No other program is running it unless the Wamp Server tray icon running is the conflict. So after making changes, attempting to save file which yields said message, I close the file.
However, thereafter everytime I open the HOSTS file it shows the changed entries already made

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 wpsite

::1 localhost
::1 wpsite

Have the changes actually been made?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2015 11:14AM by sameerchowdhury.

Date: January 26, 2015 02:31PM

Install TeamViewer and I will troubleshoot for you. Its free!

Install TV, then run it.

Send me a Private Message containing the TV ID and PASSWORD so I can connect.
Leave TV running as it will change the password each time you restart it.

I am on UK time (GMT) and am normally available 09:00 - 16:00 and normally later into the evening.

Posted by: sameerchowdhury (---.238.97.14-tataidc.co.in)
Date: January 26, 2015 02:53PM

Thanks, will do. But being a newbie, just want to clarify-is this the link on the Team Viewer download page that applies to me,

For the instant customer: TeamViewer QuickSupport
Simple and small customer module, runs immediately without installation and does not require administrative rights - optimized for instant support

Download v10.0.36897

or is it the

All-In-One: TeamViewer full version

This should be possible by tomorrow. Thanks but lemme know which one to download.

Date: January 26, 2015 03:01PM

Either will do.

For the instant customer: TeamViewer QuickSupport basically just downloads an exe file but does not INSTALL it on your system. You can then just run it from your download folder when ever you want to run it.

Posted by: sameerchowdhury (---.42.97.14-tataidc.co.in)
Date: January 26, 2015 05:55PM

How do I send a private message? I dont think its part of the software, or is it?

Date: January 26, 2015 06:08PM

On the menu above where you write a post, there is this menu .....

Go to: Forum List•Message List•Search•Control Center•Private Messages•Log Out

I am afraid I am no longer available today, but I will be available tomorrow.

Posted by: sameerchowdhury (---.186.97.14-tataidc.co.in)
Date: February 02, 2015 04:24AM

Thanks for the troubleshooting and figuring out that firewall was preventing the HOSTS file from saving as well as my browser (chrome) disallowing local domains to be directly accessed. Now the links from the homepage and the tray icon (both 'my projects' and 'my virtual projects') are working for the primary page of my site.
But I have a query, the links I'm making from my dashboard (add page) is doing such that when I open my site and click on them links, the browser displays site address in the address bar as

localhost/wpsite/page_id...

rather than,

wpsite/page_id....

When I return back to my landing page, the address states localhost/wpsite. Now if I remove the localhost from the address bar at whichever page ie link from the navigation menu, and leave the address as

wpsite/page_id...

it works fine too.

I was wondering if that is how its supposed to be.

PS:
I really ought to let you know that I have followed all the steps from your document, up until the 'Logical extension' part which I thought was for additional projects and to demonstrate how vhosts worked outside of the wamp folder too.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2015 05:21AM by sameerchowdhury.

Date: February 02, 2015 10:08AM

Hi sameer,

If you create your project folders under the \wamp\www folder i.e \wamp\www\wpsite then they will always be accessible by using the url `[localhost]` although it is better not to use that url while running the site. This is of course because localhost points to \wamp\www and therefore you can address a subfolder of \wamp\www\ by name to launch a page from there i.e. \wamp\www\wpsite.

Also because you created the Virtual Host definition then you can also access the site using `[wpsite]` and this is the more reliable way to do it.

Now if you had created the site folder, lets say in, c:\websites\wpsite\www and configured the Virtual Host definition accordingly then the site would only be accessible using the domain you used in the VHOST definition i.e. `[wpsite]`.

Posted by: sameerchowdhury (---.245.70.50.cdma-delhi.vsnl.net.in)
Date: February 03, 2015 04:39AM

I apologize Riggs, I think I might not have clear earlier.

Just wanted to clarify that I'm not using localhost/wpsite to run site, but only wpsite. However, when I click on any links in my navigation menu, the url automatically changes to localhost/wpsite/page id... when the link opens. From there, when I click on my landing page link, the url says localhost/wpsite even though I arrived there with the url wpsite. Right thereafter, after this 'auto url change', if I remove localhost from locahost/wpsite... in the address bar manually, site works fine demonstrating the vhosts.

My Wordpress dashboard, I noticed always writes the links I make (with the 'Add Page' option), with localhost at the beginning. In the wp conf file, the dbhost is defined as localhost.

If localhost is automatically called for since my wpsite folder is in the wamp/www folder, and if that's okay, do let me know and I can proceed to the 'logical extension' part, as that's what, as you said, refers only to the domain name I specify.

But if what I described is'nt how it should be, then can you point me in the right direction. My purpose is to move my site to a live server and that is why I went with vhost as I believe it's the right way to do it.

As a matter of curiosity as I'm getting tied in knots here, just wanted to know if it's possible to move site from inside the wamp folder to a live server.

Do let me know.

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2015 08:04AM by sameerchowdhury.

Date: February 03, 2015 09:43AM

Oh right,

I woudl hazzard a guess that as its a WordPress site, that is because you installed the site into localhost/wpsite. WordPress stores the domain name in its database when first installed.

If you scrap that install and then install it again using the wpsite domain then that wont happen.

Alternatively you can change the domain name, see the wordpress codex

Posted by: sameerchowdhury (---.29.97.14-tataidc.co.in)
Date: February 04, 2015 04:08AM

Hey Riggs

What can I say, thanks, You Do It Again.

Thankfully, I did not have to do a new install - I dreaded that idea when I read it but your alternative worked like a charm.

The Wordpress Codex page had the section 'Changing the URL directly in the database' - it was well instructed (just like you), had to edit 'home' and 'site' urls. As you said, localhost is automatically added during first install.

The changes I made could be made from Dashboard's Settings/General but I was'nt sure it was the right way and thought it could lead to broken links - I could be wrong on that, but doing it via the phpmyadmin 'my' database worked.

Now I have to work more on the dashboard and my site and then move it to the live server. Encountered many issues along the way and you have helped me a great deal, so thanks a million amigo.

Posted by: manishaparmar (---.static.tpgi.com.au)
Date: February 05, 2015 01:33AM

Hi Riggs,

I am also not able to access my project from localhost. Would you be able to help me through teamviewer please?

Thanks

Posted by: manishaparmar (---.static.tpgi.com.au)
Date: February 05, 2015 08:40AM

I resolved my problem! The problem was I wasn't creating virtual hosts.

Thank you Sameer!!!

Posted by: sameerchowdhury (---.133.97.14-tataidc.co.in)
Date: February 06, 2015 03:10AM

I'm glad it worked for you, Manisha.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.