SMF not connecting with domain name
Posted by: Bruce the Shark (---.static.dsl.dodo.com.au)
Date: December 07, 2014 06:43AM

Hi
ok
First tooic here so i hope i get this right.
This should be so easy for you guys to work this out but to me i am totally lost, so it's best i ask this in the correct forum.
Just inquiring or i need to know if have the following setting setup correctly, which i know i haven't.
Ok from your forum rules i have read the guidlines so here are my system specs.
i have a desktop pc running 1.8 ghz cpu with 3 gb or ram.
My pc is a 32 bit
WAMP
Apache is 2.4.9
Php 5.5.12
Mysql is 5.6.17
pc is running windows 7 with service pack 1 installed.
Ok so this is whats happening when i try to connect

i get the following error, " i do not have permission on this server

However i can view this program on my pc ( SMF ) but trying to connect this externally this fails.

Also i have the port 80 forwarded correctly and i have the green icon showing on the desktop task bar.

I can see this on my monitor but not externally.

I am sure i have set this up incorrectly

"C:/wamp/bin/apache/Apache2.2.21/conf/"
the following i have altered
# Server-pool management (MPM specific)
#Include conf/extra/httpd-mpm.conf
# Multi-language error messages
#Include conf/extra/httpd-multilang-errordoc.conf
# Fancy directory listings
#Include conf/extra/httpd-autoindex.conf
# Language settings
Include conf/extra/httpd-languages.conf
# User home directories
#Include conf/extra/httpd-userdir.conf
# Real-time info on requests and configuration
#Include conf/extra/httpd-info.conf
# Virtual hosts
#Include conf/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf
# Local access to the Apache HTTP Server Manual
#Include conf/extra/httpd-manual.conf

Also i think i got this wrong as well

"C:/Windows/System32/drivers/etc/hosts"

Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host
# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
#127.0.0.1 caprixxxx.local #youlist

At one stage i did have this up and running but i could only see half of the website without the theme showing, so i was half way there.

sorry for all the dramas and i hope you can help me out other wise i may just terminate this project
Any ideas i would highly appreciate your help

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2014 06:47AM by Bruce the Shark.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SMF not connecting with domain name
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as43234.net)
Date: December 07, 2014 01:58PM

Hi Bruce

Right first things first

The Host file "C:/Windows/System32/drivers/etc/hosts" only has an effect on the PC that it exists on. On the PC running WAMPServer it should look like this.
Its function is to load the DNS Client service's dnscache with domain names, we make use of this to pre load the names of the domains that exist on this PC as development sites.
It has no effect on any other PC.

127.0.0.1  localhost caprixxxx.local

::1  localhost caprixxxx.local

As to the other error, please describe where you are trying to access i.e. the url you are using and the directory structure where the site code is located.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: Bruce the Shark (223.27.176.---)
Date: December 08, 2014 12:02AM

Thanks for the reply.
I will have to wait later to adjust this setting in the script when i go back home today.
The program has installed and is up and running on my spare pc, however i should mention that the issue i am having right now is that when i try to access this form an outside connection into the home server i am getting missing images.
The page isn't loading correctly.
It appears as if the main default theme of the smf isn't displaying.
I am not sure why, or if it's got something to do with the setup of the local host as you mentioned.
Again i will try this above method, so as to set it up correctly the way it should be, but i am hesitant if it will resolve this issue.

Date: December 08, 2014 08:18AM

Just to let you know litlle has changed.
I have setup this as described above.
My url it is a dot. tk domain name i think this is what your asking.
What errors am i getting,, well i cant see any only the page is not loading.
Still missing images.
The directory structure i dont understand your meaning

Date: December 08, 2014 10:00AM

You should read this post on how to setup a Virtual Host. [forum.wampserver.com]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: December 08, 2014 11:15AM

I have read the post of vertucal host instruction but nothing has come to light.
I have started a new fresh reinstall all over again.
When placing the content of my smf 2.0.9 zip files in the root directory www. and connecting to local host the following error is displaying
server name = localhost:3306
Username
Password
Database name
table prefix: smf_

Critical Error
The installer was unable to access the "smf" database. With some host, you have to create the database administration panel before SMF can use it. Some also add prefix - like your username - to your database name

Any ideas of what fields need to be filled in?

Date: December 08, 2014 01:19PM

It is never a good idea to place your code in the \wamp\www folder as it will almost definitely overwrite the WAMPServer homepage.

While this is not fatal, it does mean you loose the WampServer home page and all the links on it.

Date: December 09, 2014 05:31PM

l tried again and have uninstalled the program and set up my password for phpmyadmin to see if i could get this program set up the right way but the only way these smf files will run is through the installer when placed in the \wamp\www directory.
Still no joy in viewing my the site through the outside world, I am wondering now if my port 80 is being blocked by my service provider.
Sure the pages loads on the pc locally but when I put on line it isn’t getting through
I might try again going back using port 8080

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2014 05:33PM by Bruce the Shark.

Date: December 09, 2014 10:01PM

RE: External access.

Have you port forwarded your router??

Posted by: Bruce the Shark (223.27.176.---)
Date: December 10, 2014 02:14AM

yes i have port forwarded it.
Also when doing this to port 80 the router will use automatically use 8080 as the default for other services.
Unless my service provider does not allow me to host a sever on port 80

Date: December 10, 2014 10:09AM

You do know that you can setup port forwarding so that for example incoming port 8080 gets forwarded to port 80 on your PC running WAMPServer?

This would allow you to keep Apache on port 80 and do a test that proves you can actually get a response from an external browser using port 8080. If you then change the port forwarding so incoming port 80 gets forwarded to 80 on the Apache PC you would know that your ISP is blocking port 80.

If you still get no response using incoming 8080 to 80 on Apache PC then you will know port 80 is not being blocked by your ISP.

Also remember that you will have to configure your FireWall to allow incoming port 80 and/or 8080.

Also remember to test your extenal access from outside your internal network, as most home routers do not have the ability to spot that you are using the WAN IP address from inside your internal network and turn the request around and deliver it back into your network.

I have to add this as well. WAMPServer i.e. Apache on a windows desktop is not easy to make secure, and not recommended as a live web server environment.

Date: December 20, 2014 01:12AM

Hi
Sorry to have to ask this again here....but if someone can view if these setting have been set correctly
I just need these 2 files looked at again as i am still not able to connect to my wamp server.
I am trying to use port 8080
httpd
[drive.google.com]
and
hosts
[drive.google.com]
Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.