Problem exchanging IP for URL in browser
Posted by: marcustofeles (212.247.59.---)
Date: September 21, 2010 03:26PM

Hi,

I will use joomla as an Intranet on my company. I don't understand what I need to do in order for the browser to present the address "http:intranet/joomla" instead of "htttp://192.168.90.6/joomla"

I have WAMP server 2.0i installed (with Apache 2.2.11, MySQL 5.1.36, PHP 5.3.0) on a dedicated machine (windows 2000 server). Then I have a windows 2003 server, which is responsible for DNS, and on this server I have setup a host record named "intranet". This record's properties is identical to other records that we have for printers, for example. When I browse to a printer, the printer name always shows in the address bar whatever page "within" the printer I visit. However, when I type in "intranet" I do get transfered to my joomla site but the address immediately shows the server's IP as I wrote in the first paragraph.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do? It looks unprofessional with the IP showing.

Thanks
Marcus

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Problem exchanging IP for URL in browser
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: September 21, 2010 05:54PM

You need to setup Access, DNS, and VH; Access for permission to connect to your Wamp PC, DNS to tie domain(s) to your Wamp PC, and VH to host multiple domains/websites and even you have only 1 domain/IP, you should use VH to set it up w/ the site you want to show up first on top and localhost on bottom and others in middle if having more than 1 site; then you can access locally w/ 'http://site'; if dont have real domain, just skip DNS guide

To setup Access, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

To setup VH, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

To setup DNS, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Re: Problem exchanging IP for URL in browser
Posted by: marcustofeles (212.247.59.---)
Date: September 23, 2010 03:41PM

Thank you for your reply yfastud!

Before I had the chance to follow your links however I realized that for some reason that the problem was having to do with windows 2000. I moved the site to an xp-machine and voila - Bob was my uncle smiling smiley

Cheers

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.