Trouble Connecting Outside Network
Posted by: canadawebservices (---.home3.cgocable.net)
Date: October 27, 2014 02:32PM

I have been trying to get my domain to work from outside my network to show my home based wamp server.

This is what I have done and what is working.

1. Signed up for dyndns account, got nameservers, and went into my domain name steveshowto.com and added those nameservers.

2. When I do a lookup on this domain name or dns check, the nameservers show and the ip address for my home internet, so I know the dyndns is working and my domain is pointed to my home server address - 192.168.0.125.

3. Port forwarded the port 8080 on my dlink router to point to my wamp server address with both - 192.168.0.125.

4. Went into apache 2.4.9 and changed 'all deny' to 'all granted'.

5. I can see my server website from any computer on my network, not just the server pc.

6. When I was messing around with it yesterday using port 80, I did get it to view outside by looking at PingDom tools and viewing the site. The images was not showing up and I am using wordpress. I also need help with this once I can finally get the site back up again to view outside of my network.

7. Of course wamp apache is running, MySql is running, and all is green. Like I said, I can see everything by going to 192.168.0.125:8080.

For some odd reason, I could connect at one point, but only the text was showing. So if anyone know what might have been the issue, please let me know. As of right now, I cannot even get connected outside of my network and the only thing that is different is that I am usng port 8080. Should I be using another port? Also, I have tried installing a fresh copy of httpd.conf and trying again with different setting, I am so confused what to do now. Please help...

Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trouble Connecting Outside Network
Date: October 27, 2014 03:53PM

By The way - I did a port check from [www.yougetsignal.com] and it shows port 8080 open. When I had a slight view yesterday, I was using port 80 and I think the reason why it would not work anymore is because my son was playing onlne shortly afterwards and he uses Skype. I am not sure why for some odd reason the site showed up on pingdomtools without images, but for the life of me, I cannot get it to show up using port 8080. I think its my router or httpd.conf or both.

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: October 27, 2014 04:41PM

Your description of what you think you did is so confused this may or may not help, but at least I tried !

1. Signed up for dyndns account, got nameservers, and went into my domain name steveshowto.com and added those nameservers.

Not really sure what you mean by this

Do you actually own steveshowto.com ? If so you dont need a DYNDNS account, who ever you bought it from should be able to direct that name to your routers WAN ip address, either by asking them or using their front end to do it yourself.

This method will only work if your ISP gives you a static IP address.

If you get a new ip address for your router when you reboot this will of course not work as you will have to manually change the ip after each reboot. In this case you will need the DYNDNS account, but you will not be able to use steveshowto.com as the domain name!
They normally issue odd domainnames like steveshowto.dyndns.org, there are a number of options for the dyndns.org part of the domainname but this gives yo an idea.

2. When I do a lookup on this domain name or dns check, the nameservers show and the ip address for my home internet, so I know the dyndns is working and my domain is pointed to my home server address - 192.168.0.125.

I have to assume you dont mean what you said here! 192.168.0.125 cannot be addressed from the internet its a special local ip range for internal networks only.
When I ping stevehowto.com I do actually see a real internet ip address though like 92.242.132.16
So I have to assume that is you, IS THAT RIGHT?

3. Port forwarded the port 8080 on my dlink router to point to my wamp server address with both - 192.168.0.125.
It is unusual as far as I am aware for any service to forward a domain name to any other port than [80] as this is the default port for web servers.
So what you will have to do is Port Forward incoming port 80 to port 80 on the ip adddess of the PC running WAMPServer(Apache) and make APache listen on 80 again as it should be.

How to Configure SKYPE so it does not require port 80 or 443

Run SKYPE
then using the menus do this:

Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Connection

Un-Check the checkbox next to 'Use port 80 and 443 as alternatives for incomming connections'

Now restart SKYPE for these changes to take effect.

If you are running Windows 8/8.1 SKYPE comes as an app and this cannot ( as yet ) be configured in this way.
However if you uninstall the SKYPE app and install SKYPE in the old way, you can reconfigure it, and it works just as well.

Once you have all thsi setup you will then be best advised to create an Apache VIRTUAL HOST for your site. This way when someone attempts to connect using a domain name Apache knows which site to server

See [forum.wampserver.com]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: October 27, 2014 05:46PM

My home ip is not that above, it is 67.193.9.80 which comes up when I ping it as well to this address. I signed up with dyndns because I have a dynamic ip address which could change. I know that the address for my home wamp server is 192.168.0.106 and cannot be acquired from outside. I do own steveshowto.com and have been trying to get this to work from outside when people type steveshowto.com into their browsers.

I have tried port 80 to forward to local ip address of wamp server. When it did show something, it was just text and not images for my wordpress site.

Regarding updating the domain name in my router, I know how to do this when my isp changes my ip address of my wan. This is why I signed up with dyndns.

I will change everything back to port 80, do you ahve a copy of a httpd.conf file with all the changes I need to open to outside? or can you let me know what exactly I need to change in this file to make things work and display properly?

Thanks so much for your help.

Steve

Date: October 27, 2014 05:55PM

Yes, I got it all working with port 80. It must have been that there were other services using port 80 like Skype that caused the issues before.

Date: October 27, 2014 05:57PM

I just took offline until I can come up with some security. Thanks for your help.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.