access to the internet by a domain name and use WAMP?
Posted by: LivingThis (---.cm-6-8b.dynamic.ziggo.nl)
Date: October 27, 2014 11:42AM

I have a few questions about WAMP.

I now use localhost to develop php scripts.

But what if i want to give access to the internet by a domain name and use WAMP for that purpose.

Is that possible and how?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2014 11:44AM by LivingThis.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: access to the internet by a domain name and use WAMP?
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: October 27, 2014 12:16PM

Hi LivingThis

It is of course possible, although not recommended.

1. The domain name.
If your ISP gives you a static ip address : buy a domain name and set its IP address to the WAN ip of your router. You could also use option 2 here if you wanted.

Or
2. If you do not have a static ip address you will have to go for a DYNAMIC DNS from someone like DYNDNS.COM or another similiar provider, you can usually get one for free. They also provide an app that runs on the PC that runs WAMPServer that will keep the DNS upto date with your dynamic ip address.

3. Setup one or more Virtual Hosts for your sites.
see [forum.wampserver.com]

4. Once you have the Virtual Hosts configured you can amend the one(s) you want to be visible on the internet so that Apache will accept connections from the internet by adding to the 'Require' parameters so that specific domains are available to all connections, by changing

Require local
to
    Require all granted

Why it is not recommended:

If you are running on a Windows Desktop OS, it is not so easy to set them up to run securely using an Apache server.

Secondly and probably as important as the security issues, windows desktop system are not configured to cope with large numbers of external connections like server OS's are, and you will find that external users will soon exhaust the allowed external connections its only something like 20 connections on a Windows 7 system, and less on earlier versions.
So pretty soon your users will find it hard to get to your site if more than 2 or 3 users attempt to access your site conncurrently.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2014 12:17PM by RiggsFolly.

Date: October 27, 2014 03:29PM

So you would rather recommend LAMP or Ubuntuserver?

Posted by: canadawebservices (---.home3.cgocable.net)
Date: October 27, 2014 03:56PM

I have the same issue as I cannot access it via the internet ( wan ) only through localhost:8080 with ports set to 8080 and can access pages from any pc on network. Cannot access phpmyadmin from any other pc except the server pc.

Here is my senario - also, port 8080 is showing open from outside testing tool.

I have been trying to get my domain to work from outside my network to show my home based wamp server.

This is what I have done and what is working.

1. Signed up for dyndns account, got nameservers, and went into my domain name steveshowto.com and added those nameservers.

2. When I do a lookup on this domain name or dns check, the nameservers show and the ip address for my home internet, so I know the dyndns is working and my domain is pointed to my home server address - 192.168.0.125.

3. Port forwarded the port 8080 on my dlink router to point to my wamp server address with both - 192.168.0.125.

4. Went into apache 2.4.9 and changed 'all deny' to 'all granted'.

5. I can see my server website from any computer on my network, not just the server pc.

6. When I was messing around with it yesterday using port 80, I did get it to view outside by looking at PingDom tools and viewing the site. The images was not showing up and I am using wordpress. I also need help with this once I can finally get the site back up again to view outside of my network.

7. Of course wamp apache is running, MySql is running, and all is green. Like I said, I can see everything by going to 192.168.0.125:8080.

For some odd reason, I could connect at one point, but only the text was showing. So if anyone know what might have been the issue, please let me know. As of right now, I cannot even get connected outside of my network and the only thing that is different is that I am usng port 8080. Should I be using another port? Also, I have tried installing a fresh copy of httpd.conf and trying again with different setting, I am so confused what to do now. Please help...

Steve

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: October 27, 2014 04:58PM

LivingThis

For a live webserver I would recommend using a server operating system, full stop. This gets you over the small number of connections issue.
As windows server OS's tend to cost quite a bit of money, unix or linux tend to be the prefered solution.
That does not mean you cannot use WAMPServer to develop your site, which is afterall what it is designed for in the first place.

Linux or Unix are designed to stop people accessing anything by default, whereas Windows is designed to make accessing almost everything easy for the non computer literate user. For this reason Linus/Unix is a safer platform especially for people that do not know enough about securing either there OS platform or Apache and MySQL in the first place.

Of course the other thing to consider when hosting a site at home is your bandwidth. Remember your download speed is irrelevant to the external user, they are actually making use of your UPLOAD speed which in most cases is a LOT less than your download speed. Even if you have a resonably good Fibre connection your upload speed may be no more than 2mb even when your download is 38mb or better.

In short, if you want to host a live site, get a paid hosting package. They are available for as little as 40GBP per year and unless you have 1000's of visitors a day, thats probably all you will need. Plus you get the benefit of a professionally secured environment.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2014 05:00PM by RiggsFolly.

Date: October 27, 2014 08:37PM

What I would like to explain first is that it is not my purpose to run a website.

My goal is writing personal apps for social media to automate fb, twitter and pinterest messages and so on.

I figured out there are a sevaral libraries (SNAP API, HybridAuth and 0Auth) you can work with, but I am not 100% sure that an online server is required.

Maybe it is not really a topic for this forum but somehow it is related how to work with the libraries. I think it will be more something iike filling up MySQL tables with messages and pictures and some scripts for authentication. It is all pretty new stuff to me. I am still reading and investigating how it works.

Are there people here who are experienced with it and can tell what is the best programmin/scripting environment that worked for him/her ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2014 08:41PM by LivingThis.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.