Automatic Startup of Wamp Server is Not Working
Posted by: Len_Jacobson (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 18, 2014 11:55PM

I have used the WAMP server now for several years on my Windows 7 Home Premium computer, and have installed a number of upgrades to it in that time. I have always been able to automatically start the WAMP server upon the starting of Windows. After installing the latest version, "Wamp Server (32 bits & PHP 5.5) 2.5", I no longer am able to start WAMP automatically.

As always, I have put a shortcut to "C:\wamp\wampmanager.exe" into the Windows Startup folder, and I have gone into the Properties of the Wamp Server icon and have marked it to "Run as Administrator". This is what I have always done, but this time, when my PC has rebooted, the Wamp Server is not running.

I have checked in 'msconfig' and it is clearly listed in the "Startup" tab, and the specification appears to be correct.

After restarting Windows, if I manually double-click on the Wamp Server icon that I have on my Desktop, the Wamp server starts up without a problem.

Has something changed in the newest Wamp server?

Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Automatic Startup of Wamp Server is Not Working
Date: October 20, 2014 05:26PM

Adding the following information:

Version of Operating system? - Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)
Version of Wamp Server installed? - Wamp 2.5 32bit
Version of Apache you are running? -- Apache 2.4.9
Version of MySQL you are running? -- MySQL 5.6.17
Version of PHP you are running? -- PHP 5.4 (not 5.5)
What colour is your WampManager icon? ( the in the system tray ) -- Green
Do you have a HOSTS file? [c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts] -- Yes.

Settings for the domain localhost:

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 desktop-test-server

Settings for Virtual Hosts:

<VirtualHost *>
ServerAdmin <my email address>
ServerName desktop-test-server
DocumentRoot "C:/wamp/www/TestServer"
Errorlog logs/clients-error_log
Customlog logs/clients-access_log common
</VirtualHost>

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: October 20, 2014 05:58PM

There was a bug in previous versions of WAMPServer that allowed the Apache service (wampapache) to get set to Start = Automatic and remanin that way.

If you want Apache and MySQL to start automatically then dont put wampmanager into the Startup folder and just change the Apache service(wampapache) and the MySQL service(wampmysqld or wampmysqld64) to Start=Automatic

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2014 08:00PM by RiggsFolly.

Posted by: lsemmens (---.lns9.woo.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 27, 2014 01:36PM

If you want Apache and MySQL to start automatically then dont put wampmanager into the Startup folder and just change the Apache service(wampapache) and the MySQL service(wampmysqld or wampmysqld64) to Start=Automatic
All well and good but, where do we find this?

Windoze 7 64
WAMP 2.5 64
Apache 2.4.9
MySQL 5.6.17
PHP 5.5.1.2

Date: October 30, 2014 05:50AM

Sorry for the two-day delay in responding -- I needed to rebuild my computer.

The suggestion to make the apache and mysql servers start up automatically was, indeed, the solution to this problem.

To do that, open up the "Services" window. You can do that through the Control Panel => System and Security => Administrative Tools, and then double-click on "Services". Alternatively, you can bring up the "Run" dialog box and enter "services.msc".

Find 'wampapache' and 'wampmysqld' in the list of services, double-click on each of them, and set the "Startup type" to "Automatic".

Upon rebooting, you will see that the two services have started automatically.

You won't, however, find the green "W" in the SysTray. To get that, you will have to manually double-click on the "Wamp Server" icon.

Thank you, RiggsFolly, for pointing us to this solution.

Posted by: Emmy wilson (41.202.233.---)
Date: November 05, 2014 11:48PM

What I known I have used the WAMP server now for several years on my Windows 7 Home Premium computer, and have installed a number of upgrades to it in that time. I have always been able to automatically start the WAMP server upon the starting of Windows. After installing the latest version, "Wamp Server (32 bits & PHP 5.5) 2.5", I no longer am able to start WAMP automatically.

As always, I have put a shortcut to "C:\wamp\wampmanager.exe" into the Windows Startup folder, and I have gone into the Properties of the Wamp Server icon and have marked it to "Run as Administrator". This is what I have always done, but this time, when my PC has rebooted, the Wamp Server is not running.

I have checked in 'msconfig' and it is clearly listed in the "Startup" tab, and the specification appears to be correct.

After restarting Windows, if I manually double-click on the Wamp Server icon that I have on my Desktop, the Wamp server starts up without a problem.

Has something changed in the newest Wamp server?

Thank you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.