Getting DNS to point to subfolder
Posted by: wakafanykai123 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 16, 2014 10:16AM

Okay, I got my WAMP server all nice and set up.
Now, I'm using FreeDNS as my DNS provider and I want to make the DNS point to one of my 'projects'. Whenever I currently go to it, it goes to the default apache.php page instead.
I don't want to have people manually type out the folder after my url. Anyone know how to do this? I've tried using the Virtual Hosts function but I cant get the hang of it. Also, I need other people besides me on different computer to be able to access it like that, and from what it seems like, the hosts file needs to be modified.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2014 10:20AM by wakafanykai123.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Getting DNS to point to subfolder
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: October 17, 2014 12:25PM

Creating a Virtual Host is the solution, where the ServerName is set to the freeip domain name you have picked.

Freeip will point people at your router, you then Port Forward port 80 on your router to allow extenal access on port 80 and point that at the PC running WAMPServer(Apache)

Then when APache see's the domain name visitors are using it directs them to the correct DocumentRoot and Apache servers the pages.

You can port your httpd-vhost.conf if yuo like and I will look at it. If you prefer you can send it as a Private Message then it wont be visible to everyone.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.