Wildcard Subdomains
Posted by: Johnnyo (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 22, 2010 09:20PM

I have trying to figure out how to do wildcard subdomains on wamp. I have read that windows does not handle wildcard subdomains and that I would have to add the subdomains manually.

So I located my vhosts file and the host file and edited them with the name of my bright & shiny subdomain. Reloaded the server, and bam! Nothing happens. I reedited the files, as I figured that maybe the two have to have completely different folders. And this also required htaccess modifications.

I spent so much time trying to figure this out but the best result I had so far was that the subdomain.domain.local pointed to the homepage of the website. I thought this was a good step, because the htaccess mods could just be applied to the root htaccess file, but that was not the case.

At anyrate, I am at a loss. Any assistance would be appreciated. I would rather stick with using wamp than have to setup a linux box.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wildcard Subdomains
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: July 22, 2010 09:34PM

you need to setup access, dns, and vh; access for permission to connect to your wamp pc, dns to tie domain(s) to your wamp pc, and vh to host multiple domains/websites and even you have only 1 domain/ip, you should use vh to set it up w/ the site you want to show up first on top and localhost on bottom and others in middle if having more than 1 site; if dont have real domain, just skip dns guide

To setup Access, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

To setup VH, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

To setup DNS, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.