WAMP "unsuitable" for WordPress?!
Posted by: Thulefoth (---.olypen.com)
Date: July 19, 2010 03:24PM

I put up a topic-post [wordpress.org] on the WordPress forum, related to WAMPServer, and was told by one of the leading moderators there, quote:

"WAMP isn't really suitable for this. Try using Live Writer instead."

My jaw hit the floor. I've seen WAMP described by accomplished WordPress people as desirable (if complicated) for years!

If fact, my WAMPServer has been easy, putting WordPress on it was almost utterly transparent, and I have been very active with my installation, with virtually nothing untoward that can't be traced to 'the nut behind the wheel'.

I have installed dozens of Plugins, automatically/remotely, and am Updating them ongoing, the same way. I have installed 21 Themes: a couple don't work right, but I think it's the theme. At one point, I caused a snafu with WP Update, and as insurance I completely reinstalled WP 3.0, automatically/remotely, over a working website, without a single hiccup or blink.

I am thrilled with my WAMP ... and now WP-central says it's unsuitable?

Please tell me - and WP! - it ain't so! :-)

Ted

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WAMP "unsuitable" for WordPress?!
Date: July 19, 2010 05:42PM

Update: I misinterpreted what the WordPress Mod was saying. They meant, that I could not use WAMP when off-line, and that it would not serve well, to incrementally update a remotely-hosted site. Otherwise, for preliminary website development (with a full-time Internet connection) it will do fine.

I had really hoped to use my Localhost server in remote locations where there is no Internet. I was startled when WAMPServer failed, simply because I was off-line. (A *localhost*, that won't work, unless it can connect *remotely*? Huh?)

Since I am doing 'preliminary' development, it is less an issue, that WAMP may not be useful for local dev & incremental updating of the site. Once the site in online, obviously I will be in another situation.

So it looks like the WP Mod did do me a service ... I will be ok with WAMPServer, building my site locally ... but unfortunately, I won't be able to work on it when out hiking in the backcountry (as I fondly anticipated) ... and then when the site is up, I won't be able to work local, then have WAMP update the remote site.

Is this a true picture? Are there maybe workarounds? Thanks!

Ted

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: July 19, 2010 06:34PM

you need to setup access, dns, and vh; access for permission to connect to your wamp pc, dns to tie domain(s) to your wamp pc, and vh to host multiple domains/websites and even you have only 1 domain/ip, you should use vh to set it up w/ the site you want to show up first on top and localhost on bottom and others in middle if having more than 1 site; if dont have real domain, just skip dns guide

To setup access, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

To setup VH, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

To setup dns, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

To setup Wordpress, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: July 19, 2010 07:45PM

Thanks yfastud! I had seen a couple of your guides, looking at Forum posts, and thought "Ah, yes!"

I'll get busy with my homework. winking smiley

Ted

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.