localhost not being found - 'Problem Loading Page
Posted by: Angus94 (---.lns12.lon.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 29, 2014 07:56AM

wampserver 2.1e

Apache 2.1.17
php 5.3.5
SQL 5.5.8

hi all,
i downloaded the latest version thats on the front of this site but when i tried to install i got a message........

c:\wamp\bin\apache\apache2.4.9\bin\httpd.exe is not a valid Win32 application

so i hunted down and downloaded wampserver 2.1e.......this installed perfectly, but. i can only get an orange taskbar icon.

i have been into the services and started the 2 required services

i have the folders setup correctly in the root directory

i havent changed any port numbers

i didnt get the firewall request during install but i have been in and added wampserver to the excemptions list.

can anyone help me get a green icon please, im not real clever with this stuff, actually its a side to computing that i havent had a lot to do with.

thanks in advance

oh. i have read several of the similar questions to my issue but they all seem to have unique problems of

there own

cheers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: localhost not being found - 'Problem Loading Page
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: September 29, 2014 10:02AM

Hi Angus,

Can we start by trying to get you onto a resonably recent version of WampServer as you are a new user please.

There are 2 versions of WAMPServer 2.5 ( latest version ) the 32bit version and the 64bit version. For various reasons its simpler to go for the 32bit version as this will run on both 32bit and 64bit Windows systems, unless you have some burning reason for installing the 64bit version.

There is one proviso, WAMPServer 2.5 will not run on Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 ( or earlier versions of either )

If you have newer versions of windows than above, can we try re-installing WAMPServer 2.5 if not then WAMPServer 2.4 is the newest version that you can install.

When re-installing, please Uninstall your current version properly via 'Add remove programs' and then manually delete the C:\wamp folder and all subfolders, then reinstall either 2.4 or 2.5

Before reinstalling please make sure you have all the required Microsoft Visual Studio runtime libraries, here is a post describing what you need and where to find them for download. Missing MSVCR100.DLL or MSVCR110.DLL SOLUTION . This may have been your problem with the original WAMPServer 2.5 install.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2014 10:18AM by RiggsFolly.

Date: September 29, 2014 11:07AM

the 2008 version installed ok

the 2010 version asked me if i wanted to repair or uninstall the current version

the 2012 version just refused to install and came up with a massive log file of errors

and i have done a complete clean install of the operating system and everything

Date: September 29, 2014 12:57PM

What version of Windows are you using?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: September 29, 2014 01:00PM

win xp professional

Date: September 29, 2014 01:17PM

Angus,

I did say this in my previous post

There is one proviso, WAMPServer 2.5 will not run on Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 ( or earlier versions of either )

So WAMPServer 2.5 wont run on Windows XP

The most recent version of WAMPServer that will run on Windows XP is WAMPServer 2.4. Try that.

Date: September 29, 2014 01:32PM

well what do you know......

i found a 2.4 version. downloaded it.......uninstalled the 2.5 then deleted the wamp folder from root directory......

installed 2.4.....

got no erros at all

within 10 seconds of finishing the install i has a green taskbar icon

i left clicked the icon then clicked localhost and voila

up came the default web page

Date: September 29, 2014 01:49PM

ok, thats all working well

ive moved the files out of the www folder and put the files from my website in there. when i left click the green taskbar icon and click localhost, my website comes up

i have clicked Put Online, the icon went red........then orange.......then green

so i can assume its all visible online. my question now what is the address on my website, how do i find out?

cheers

Date: September 29, 2014 05:35PM

Visible online? That depends. Have you Port Forwarded Your router?

Address of your website? Well unles you have a Dynamic DNS or an actual domain purchased and pointing at your router's WAN address then you have to use just your routers WAN address.

Posted by: Angus94 (---.lnse7.win.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 29, 2014 11:24PM

i have just been reading about port forwarding, and i have a retired purchased domain name i might bring back into service

will keep you posted

thanks for your help so far, really has been awesome

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.