Call to undefined function in phpmyadmin
Posted by: spshannon (---.pndsl.co.uk)
Date: September 15, 2014 06:47PM

Brand new installation (first time User) of Wamp Server. On 4th installation to get past error messages of missing MSVCR110.dll & php_mbstring.dll,

I can now get to WAMPSERVER Homepage OK. However, when I click on phpmyadmin I get error message:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function mb_detect_encoding() in C:\wamp\apps\phpmyadmin4.1.14\libraries\php-gettext\gettext.inc on line 177.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Call to undefined function in phpmyadmin
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: September 15, 2014 07:13PM

Hi,

Left click the wampmanager icon ( the W in the system tray ) -> PHP -> PHP Extensions

You should see another menu appear containing a long list of extension names.

Active ones have a tick beside them.

Click the one called php_mbstring and give wamp a few seconds to restart Apache, that will happen automatically.

You may need tor eload the PHP version for everything to work properly:
Wampmanager icon->PHP-Versions->5.5.12 then click on 5.5.12

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: September 15, 2014 09:55PM

php_mbstring was already ticked in PHP Extensions list.

I tried un-ticking and then re-ticked. Reloaded PHP version, but still get the same error message.

Date: September 16, 2014 01:22PM

I repeated a WAMPSERVER installation on my Laptop PC. Same Operating system (Windows 7, 64 bit) and everything is perfect - no error messages.

However, Laptop PC is only OK for quick changes. For development I really need to getting WAMP working on my Desktop PC. Copy of .../hosts file:-
127.0.0.1 localhost

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 localhost

I have ensured that php_mbstring is ticked and WAMP server is green (PC + Server re-started many times).

I get to WAMPSERVER Homepage OK. However, when I click on phpmyadmin I get error message:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function mb_detect_encoding() in C:\wamp\apps\phpmyadmin4.1.14\libraries\php-gettext\gettext.inc on line 177.

I've had someone more technically literate than me take a look at the problem but they couldn't determine why the error message was being generated.

Posted by: vishalvnexus (116.73.175.---)
Date: March 20, 2018 11:50AM

You may need tor eload the PHP version for everything to work properly:
Wampmanager icon->PHP-Versions->5.5.12 then click on 5.5.12

I had updated wamp for new php version.. it was working all fine till today i got this issue with phpmyadmin.

I tried everything i found online but everything seemed fine..except phpmyadmin

finally when I tried what you suggest about selecting php version.. correct version was already selected.. even so i clicked on the same selected version and phpmyadmin was back to normal... would suggest everyone facing this issue to try this step.

*FYI - my php version was 5.6.*

Thank you @ Otomatic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.