Is WAMP Server more secure on obscure port?
Posted by: gulliverian (---.dfait-maeci.gc.ca)
Date: September 02, 2014 08:49PM

I'd like to open WAMP Server (on my home PC) to the outside for personal access to resources at home. No public access, except perhaps family, is intended.

I understand that WAMP it not wildly secure, so I don't want to have it widely available.

Would I be safer binding it so some obscure port (through port mapping on my broadband router and/or changing the port in Apache) or do the opportunists just scan every possible port anyway looking for a web server?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is WAMP Server more secure on obscure port?
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: September 03, 2014 07:05PM

Hi,

The security of a server, whatever it is, is what YOU make.
If you do not have a good grasp of what the security of a server is, it would be better not to open it on the Internet.
We have seen very recently, with Apple Cloud, even professionals are hack.
Do not spend the entire server "Online" (1); Use the VirtualHost with restricted access and even request a password via a htaccess file.

(1) The next version of Wampserver will not have this option "Online/Offline" directly accessible from the main menu. This is an open door for hackers of the whole world. VirtualHosts allow, instead, to filter access wisely.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2014 07:08PM by Otomatic.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.