Windows 7 Performance
Posted by: rsmereka (---.ciaccess.com)
Date: April 09, 2010 09:23PM

I have two copies of WAMP running, both the latest version. One on XP and one on Windows 7 X64. The XP machine is an Intel Q9600 quad (4gb RAM) and the Windows 7 machine is an Intel i7-860 (8gb RAM). A processor intensive query that takes 13 seconds on the Q9600, takes 36 seconds on the i7-860. Something is wrong here. The i7-860 should be faster.

I have read here about Windows 7 speed issues linked to the 'hosts' file and have verified that the Windows 7 'hosts' file contains only the '127.0.0.1 localhost' entry.

Before I re-format and downgrade the i7-860 machine to XP, I thought I would ask here.

Any ideas?
Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Windows 7 Performance
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: April 09, 2010 11:36PM

did you check if your win7 running anything else in background; also, did you set leverage for wamp in all firewall/antivirus?

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: rsmereka (142.46.6.---)
Date: April 10, 2010 05:42PM

Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

This is a brand new Windows 7 PC. So nothing is running except Wamp and the stock services.

Windows 7 asked me if I wanted to unblocked Apache in the firewall when I installed Wamp and I did this. Antivirus is not an issue right now because there is none. This is just a test machine.

Rick

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: April 10, 2010 06:02PM

also, did you set leverage for wamp in all firewall/antivirus?
xp has only firewall but w7 has not just firewall but also defender, UAC...

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: rsmereka (---.ciaccess.com)
Date: April 16, 2010 09:57PM

I have spend hours tracking this performance problem.

I downgraded the new PC to Windows XP, installed WampServer 2.0i and encountered the same issue. 26-27 seconds for the benchmark query so the issue was not Windows 7.

On a hunch, I uninstalled Wamp Server 2.0i and installed 2.0h which is the same version I am running on the benchmark PC (the one that takes 13 seconds for the benchmark query). This caused the benchmark query to be 11 seconds which is more like it.

Unfortunately, staying with WampServer 2.0h is not a solution. My security auditors want Apache and Php to be current.

Why is there a major difference in the performance of WampServer 2.0i verses 2.0h?

Rick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.