Problems with Installation on XP-SP2 with IIS installed
Posted by: steven_c (---.range86-146.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 20, 2008 01:22PM

Hi All

First post and newbie to WampServer.

Basically I'm looking at using Joomla for a web project I'm working on and recently purchased (book) Barrie Norths, 'Joomla, a users guide' to get me started.

Anyway, installed WampServer on my Windows XP SP2 Machine. When I try to load Localhost through browser i get a login dialogue box. Enter my PC's login but it loads the Localhost for IIS rather than WampServer.

When I restart all services, the icon in the system try is mostly yellow rather than white so I guess something is wrong but I haven't the foggiest what.

Any help from you fine people would be much apprecaited.

Cheers
Steven Cheshire

www.britishbutterflies.co.uk
www.brimstonefineart.co.uk

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Problems with Installation on XP-SP2 with IIS installed
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: March 20, 2008 03:03PM

IIS and apache/wamp are both web server and both use port 80, so you have to disable iis in order for wamp to work

Disable IIS in Vista:

Uninstall Programs, Turn Widows Features On or Off, uncheck Internet Information Services

Disable IIS in XP:

Add/Remove Programs, Add/Remove Windows Components, uncheck Internet Information Services (IIS)

Restart computer, then restart wamp

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: March 20, 2008 03:12PM

Hi yfastud

Thanks for that... but it's gonna be a real pain if I have to keep installing, un-installing IIS because I develop web sites for windows server too as well as wanting to develope some sites using Joomla... is there no way that IIS and WampServer can run on the same PC at the same time? or at least without having to uninstall one or the other?

Cheers
Steve Cheshire

Date: March 20, 2008 03:24PM

Theory, you can have both, but practically, they might conflict in some ways. w/ any wamp package, including this wampserver suite. In additions, you can install add-on such asp.net, jsp w/ tomcat, so on to work w/ wampserver instead running 2 webservers. Of course, I do know asp.net differ from asp, but they have a saying "you can't eat a cookie and have it the same time". Anyway, if you still like to try it, make sure to test on single unit before putting on main server(s), and here is the simplest way as far as I know

1. Configure iis running as service
2. Stop iis
3. Install wampserver (w/ option running as service)
4. Open httpd.conf in wamp/bin/apache/apache2.2.6/conf
5. Find and change listen 80 to other port such as 81, 8080, so on
6. Enable associated port 81, 8080, so on for wampserver in all firewalls and routers
7. Restart your computer, and now you have both iis and wampserver running

For testing, you should save in new folder every time you have new project, and for testing these 2, save these 2 test index.html in their associated location

// index.html testing asp stored in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\testiis

<html>
<body>
<p>
IIS working
</p>
<%
Response.Write("And ASP works, too"winking smiley;
%>
</body>
</html>

// index.html testing php stored in C:\wamp\www\testwamp

<html>
<body>
<p>
WAMP working
</p>
<?php
echo 'And PHP works, too';
?>
</body>
</html>

And access them like this:

[localhost]
[localhost]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: March 20, 2008 04:02PM

Thanks yfastud

This certainly seems like a good work around so I can test sites on my local PC before uploading.
I'm gonna have a busy weekend over Easter so not sure how long it will take me before I actually get around to doing what you suggest but I will get back as soon as I do try it and let you know if all works well.

Really appreciate your help on this. Fingers crossed it will work!!

Cheers and best wishes
Steve Cheshire

Date: March 20, 2008 04:55PM

It must work since I had both before then had headache to maintain 2 webservers, so I eliminated IIS and install some add-ons for wamp instead ;-)

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: gtfisher (208.48.2.---)
Date: March 29, 2010 06:25PM

Hi,

I also had WampServer and IIS running simultaneously using this same method (different ports) for years-- then I had to get PHP running under IIS ALSO (in addition to under WampServer); this required installing another instance of PHP, and now my WampServer PHP is hosed. When I do a phpinfo() in Apache/WampServer, it's loading the OTHER php.ini as the config file. How dfo I change this? How do I specify which PHP instance to load? My httpd.conf has:

"c:/wamp/bin/php/php5.2.6/php5apache2_2.dll"

But phpinfo() says:

Loaded Configuration File: C:\Program Files\PHP\php.ini

Any ideas? How can I get IIS and WampServer to use the same instance of PHP?

Thanks,o
Garrett

Date: March 30, 2010 12:47AM

by default, php will look for its default location; thus, both php-iis and php-wamp are looking for same php.ini; not quite sure if you can change path in php-iis but you can setup custom php.ini for wamp; however, it's not simple to post in 1 step or 2

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.