UNABLE TO CONNECT TO DATABASE error
Posted by: nx9i (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 20, 2014 03:40AM

Hello all,

Ok, here's the issue. I've installed the latest WAMP for 64bit (Windows 7 64)
and I've downloaded the latest WORDPRESS. (3.9.2)

Now, I've followed about 6 different tutorials on setting up wamp and wordpress and everytime im getting the UNABLE TO CONNECT TO DATABASE error. I cannot seem to get to the Wordpress installation steps after the WP-CONFIG setup is done. Ive tried turning off the firewall, and im stumped.

BTW, it does the same thing with XAMPP. Im wondering if it is a network setting in my browser or my internet, or something with Windows 7....

HELP!!!!

Paul

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: UNABLE TO CONNECT TO DATABASE error
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: August 20, 2014 04:05AM

What colour is your WAMPManager icon in the system tray?

Are you running WAMPServer and XAMPP at the same time?

What are your Virtual Hosts settings?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: August 20, 2014 04:09AM

hello.

GREEN..

I am not running both at the same time...

im using firefox and Im using localhost

Perhaps you can enlighten me about Virtual Host Settings....

Date: August 20, 2014 06:44AM

Ok,
when I delete the wp-config.php file I get the Wordpress page telling me that I need to setup the database.....

So, I enter what the tutorials say:

db name: wordpress
db user: root
password:
etc..

it says, ok all set. Now the next step is to install....this is where it says unable to connect to database....

im about ready to give up.....

help

Date: August 20, 2014 10:02AM

Installing Wordpress is usually fairly simple. I assume you are following the instructions found here Famous 5-Minute Install

Running WordPress in a Virtual Host is always the best practice.

Here is a doc on how to create Virtual Hosts

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: nx9i (216.56.88.---)
Date: August 20, 2014 07:16PM

same thing is happening....

very frustrated... I uninstalled wamp and tried XAMMP and after getting setup, same issue--database connection error. now if its doing this with two separate programs, is it something with the computer setup?? I cant seem to find what seetings should be on a windows 7 network settings(e.i proxy, firewall settings,etc) one thing I noticed is the WAMP ICON IS GREEN but I hover over it and it says,"WAMPSERVER-OFFLINE". BUT ITS GREEN....

Here's what im thinking: DATABASE which is setup exactly the way the tuts say, is conflicting with either my internet settings, but yet it isn't. im confused, and frustrated..

help....

Windows 7 64 bit,
WAMP 2.5
firefox
dreamweaver
wordpress 3.9.2

Date: August 22, 2014 10:04AM

WAMPServers Online/Offline is irrelevant, it just tell you that you are allowing local only access or access from the universe.

IF WampServer is GREEN thats good, and means Apache and MySQL are running.

From then on, its probably something you are doing wrong in the install of WordPress.

If you can run phpMyAdmin then Apache/PHP are configured correctly.

If phpMyAdmin shows that you have created the database (name) for Wordpress thats good.
If you can see the MySQL account that you have created for the Wordpress Install thats good.
If that account has all rights on the Wordpress database thats good.

When youo run the install, do you get any errors in the Apache error log OR the php error log?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.