FTP access to WAMP
Posted by: ronh (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: February 09, 2010 06:06PM

I wish to use WAMP in a teaching environment as a web server. I have to teach students how to publish a website using FTP (filezilla) and as the security settings within the local network prevent external ftp access am wondering if I can do it with WAMP set up on a local PC. I have read the tut on setting up VH and think I understand what is necessary there. Can anyone advise whether I can use filezilla to access WAMP and if so how do I set up individual FTP accounts with passwords for each domain or sub-domain.
I need t make the expereince as realistic as possible so that when students go home and work with commercial hosts they see how it all works with usernames/ passwords etc.
Many thanks for your kind help.

Ron

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FTP access to WAMP
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: February 10, 2010 02:26AM

very simple, just setup each ftp user account associated w/ his/her document root setup in vh

hope that help winking smiley

to setup vh, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: February 11, 2010 05:33PM

OK so I set up VH as per tutorial, however this talks about using http to access the domain, local domain or sub-domains created. This I assume is why other machines on the network need to use Notepad (or your desire text editor) to open file "hosts" in folder C:/Windows/System32/drivers/etc and replace those dummy codes with these codes:

192.168.0.2 localhost
192.168.0.2 domain
192.168.0.2 sub1
192.168.0.2 sub2

I assume this is so that typing localhost, domain, sub1 etc into a browser will result in the user being directed to the PC running WAMP

As I want to use ftp via filezilla (within the LAN) and use an ftp address followed by username and password could anyone provide some info on this please. I know I am missing something here and apologise for my stupidity - but I need to learn.

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: February 12, 2010 02:09AM

no, type those local domains into browser to access web pages associated to each local domain, but just type only the ip address that setup in ftp server will bring up ftp log in page, then have to provide ftp username and password to login ftp acct associated w/ user acct which also user document root setup in vh

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: February 13, 2010 01:31PM

Thanks for the reply. I think I understand in part. Are you saying that I type the IP address for the server PC in the browser?
I do not however understand the part where you say "that setup in ftp server will bring up the ftp login page". How do I get to this? I cannot find any ftp login page. As I can't locate it I don't know how to set up the username and password.

Sorry to be a bit thick but this is all new to me. Appreciate your help.

Ron

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.