WordPress cannot install if URL contains Port Number
Posted by: Gaz (---.173.242.199.adsl.dynamic.totbb.net)
Date: January 27, 2010 09:34AM

Hi all

Hoping there's a fast and easy fix for this ...

I'm running wampServer on a Win 2000 Server asnd due to IIS server, I've had to redirect WS to use port 81.

This means in the browser it always begins the URL with [localhost]

WordPress MU is refusing to install stating that it cannot if the port number is in the URL

I tried renaming the server in http.conf to use the name wampapache instead of local host, but when opening the phpMySql admin (for example) it still begins the URL with [localhost]......

Is there anyway I can configure it to drop the port number but still avoid running on port 80? I cannot stop IIS due to production needs.

Many thanks

Gaz

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WordPress cannot install if URL contains Port Number
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: January 27, 2010 06:02PM

use vh setup local domain then use that local domain to install wordpress mu

to setup vh, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: January 27, 2010 08:53PM

yfastud - thanks for the often repeated post, but your answer is 100% wrong in this situation - sorry, but true.

The problem arises because WordPress MULTI USER is a very different engine to the one in standard WordPress - for a start, buried deep in the config system is a section of code that purposefully strips the port number off any URL and reports in the browser that WPMU will not work with a port number in the URL.

Secondly, the WPMU code forces the use of port 80, therefore is WAMP has been switched to port 81 or any other port, then WPMU will simply NOT install.

Thirdly, (nasty this one) WPMU refuses to run with single word domain names - thus [localhost] treats localhost as being a single domain name without host name or TLD (e.g. www.localhost.localdomain)

Without a complete rewrite of WPMU, it is not possible therefore to get WPMU to install on a WAMP installed on a server with another webserver already running.

The only solution is to re-address the port that IIS is using, making port 80 free for WAMP, and configure WAMP back to port 80. Then the fun begins ....

It's long and it's complex - it involves hacking httpd.conf, and the /extras/vhosts file, and the local Windows host file, and a bunch of other stuff - none of which works if Apache is not using port 80

It's taken me roughly 12 hours of intensive digging and trial-and-error, but I did find the combination of actions for a solution. Once I've got it written up and blogged, then I'll post the link back here for everyone to get a step by step for how to do it - it should be good for all Windows servers from Win2000 through to the latest releases.

Trust me on this - the solution you keep throwing out with links to your blog DO NOT WORK if the Windows box is a SERVER. They may well work for workstations and PCs, even for Apples and the like, but they DO NOT work for Windows Servers, and it's dangerous to point people to them if you are advising about a completely different architecture.
(Note - I do not classify an XP or Vista box with shared services as a server - I mean a REAL server as named by Microsoft, and with the price tag to match, and which requires a Client Access License for each service and application for each user whose PC connects to it).

Gaz

Date: January 27, 2010 08:54PM

Sorry if that sounded harsh - but I did clearly state in the OP that I was talking about a Server - not a PC.

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (86.47.46.---)
Date: January 27, 2010 10:53PM

1. A server is not a PC.A microsoft Server is not a Server! The server is apache or ISS. and you cant run two servers on one PC using the same port , so disable IIS. or dont use wamp.

It's long and it's complex - it involves hacking httpd.conf, and the /extras/vhosts file, and the local Windows host file, and a bunch of other stuff - none of which works if Apache is not using port 80

this sentence is complete rubbish. HACKING???? Maybe you need to look up this word in a dictionary. A conf file is there to configure!!

Microsoft never designed the host file to use port numbers but keep in mind the host file is only for LOCAL NETWORK.- Apache can handle any port as long as the site is on web.

3. All of the above works no matter what port apache is using.

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2010 10:55PM by stevenmartin99.

Date: January 27, 2010 10:56PM

I'm running wampServer on a Win 2000 Server

Trust me on this - the solution you keep throwing out with links to your blog DO NOT WORK if the Windows box is a SERVER. They may well work for workstations and PCs, even for Apples and the like, but they DO NOT work for Windows Servers, and it's dangerous to point people to them if you are advising about a completely different architecture.
I guess the problem might be in win server 2000 since I have no problem on win server 2008 to use vh to setup local domain 'http://wordpressmu' and from there to have 'http://sub1.wordpressmu', 'http://sub2.wordpressmu'..
sorry, win 2000 is too old and personally I feel a little behind when using server 2008 in the year 2010; however, it seems they focus to promote whs nowadays, arent they??? anyway, I've used w2k8 to wrote some guides before winking smiley
[guides.jlbn.net]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: Gaz (---.173.242.39.adsl.dynamic.totbb.net)
Date: January 28, 2010 06:44AM

stevenmartin99 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 1. A server is not a PC.A microsoft Server is not
> a Server! The server is apache or ISS. and you
> cant run two servers on one PC using the same port
> , so disable IIS. or dont use wamp.
>
You are so wrong Steve, and showing your reluctance to understand - On my Win2000 Server, where the operating system itself is a file server, integrated out of the box there are over 20 named server applications, including DNS, DHCP, IIS and so on. Additionally, I don't see many PCs in the shops with hot-swappable 10-Disk SAS Raid 5+0 arrays run on twin SAS controllers embedded into the motherboard (not plug-in cards) nor with redundant power supply converters in the box, and certainly not with multiple CPU sockets on the mainboard. I've been building and maintaining global-WAN hardware since 1979, so I do know how to identify the difference between a server and a PC - PCs were just a fairy tale when I started in IT.

In this case you are genericising that all server applications cannot be run on the same port. Yes they can - I have multiple email (POP3 / SMTP / IMAP) all running on the same port per service (e.g. 25 for SMTP, 110 for POP3 etc) because they each have a different IP assigned per virtual server. What would have been more accurate is to say that you cannot run Apache and IIS as http servers on the same port on the same machine.
>
> 2.
> It's long and it's complex - it involves hacking
> httpd.conf, and the /extras/vhosts file, and the
> local Windows host file, and a bunch of other
> stuff - none of which works if Apache is not using
> port 80
>
>
>
> this sentence is complete rubbish. HACKING????
> Maybe you need to look up this word in a
> dictionary. A conf file is there to configure!!
>
> Microsoft never designed the host file to use port
> numbers but keep in mind the host file is only
> for LOCAL NETWORK.- Apache can handle any port as
> long as the site is on web.
>
> 3. All of the above works no matter what port
> apache is using.

OK - hacking as a slang term might get up your nose, but any application that involves modifying the core code without a user interface (preferably a GUI) by typing data directly into the file, has been classified as 'hacking' (look up the dictionary definition of the verb to-hack) for as long as I've been in IT. You might like to call it configuring, or applying settings, or whatever, but they all boil down to the same thing - the user has to open the code file and cut, copy, paste, or type to change the data in the file - the changes are not handled by a tool applet that applies constraints and verifies valid input formatting etc. Therefore, it is hacking. A further thought on how the data is changed (using 8 fingers and two thumbs) - why do you think journalists are called hacks? It relates to "hacking out" a story from a large amount of information, and then typing it up.

Chill on that score dude - it's an argument you won't win, as I can justify using the word from a 1000 examples and causes. Just accept that different peoples use different names for different things - as they say in Wales. "Who's coat is this jacket?"

Gaz

Posted by: Gaz (---.173.242.39.adsl.dynamic.totbb.net)
Date: January 28, 2010 06:58AM

quote yfastud - sorry, win 2000 is too old

winking smiley it's a positive puppy compared to me :p

Win2000 is fine, it's a workhorse, low user of resources, and the backbone of Server2003, 2007, 2008 and WHS - all of them are built on Win2000 with extra gubbins bolted on.

Sure it's missing some of the easier ways to do things (SMTPauth, SPF, SenderID etc on the email side) but as a client-server operating system for running server applications and services, it's fine, and it does the job with incredible stability and robustness - it's certainly a lot less prone to core corruption than the later versions.

Here's a question for you though - on your Win2008 server on which you have no problems, do you have IIS running, or other server applications (email, DNS, fax routing etc) that require IIS, or have you stripped them out, and basically use 2008 in the same way as say XP or Vista. In other words, are you using your 2008 box as a genuine, full steam, server, or just as a workstation? There's a world of difference (and configured settings) between the two. e.g. if you let your router handle DHCP, then you've closed one aspect of the server, and impacted several others including domain and user management, ISA Firewall and Proxy methodology, and so on.

Never forget, though most people do, that when installing a Microsoft Server OS, very early in the installation you are given the choice of installing the server in one of four modes -
Primary Domain Controller
Backup Domain Controller
Standalone Server (for use as e.g. file server, or print server, or web server etc)
Workstation

If you select the Workstation option, then all true server functionality is disabled, and you need to reinstall to return the server functionality to the OS. Generally speaking, very few people know which of the four options was chosen for any particular install, unless they're one of the network admins, or the owner of the machine and built it themselves.

Win2008 - it'd be nice to have on a spare box for playing with, but 2000 is still doing the job.

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (86.47.46.---)
Date: January 28, 2010 09:31AM

your here on the wamp site.. server = http server.... Thats why you want wamp

otherwise stick with IIS.

Anyway my answer is - everything you wanna do is possible with wamp on a Microsoft "Server" or a PC or Laptop.

Hacking (English verb to hack, singular noun a hack) refers to the re-configuring or re-programming of a system to function in ways not facilitated by the owner, administrator, or designer

And for you information there is lots of GUI tools out there for modifying the config files.

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Date: January 28, 2010 11:33PM

Here's a question for you though - on your Win2008 server on which you have no problems, do you have IIS running, or other server applications (email, DNS, fax routing etc) that require IIS, or have you stripped them out, and basically use 2008 in the same way as say XP or Vista.
as steven mentioned, we're here to help people having problem w/ wampserver, and if you do some search I've posted before that IIS and wamp can run together but better to maintain just 1 and add other language or db if needed because they would conflict in some ways; anyway, to satisfy your curious we have server 2k8 in one of our servers to run IIS, MSSQL, ASP.net, MySQL and PHP on IIS along w/ wamp in which we setup MSSQL and ASP.net so we can test and compare scripts MySQL+PHP, MSSQL+PHP, MySQL+ASP.net, MSSQL+ASP.net on both IIS and wamp

btw, it seems you missed to get the free copy of Win Server 2008 and also Visual Studio, SQL Server 2008, Game Serve 2.0, so on from M$ that I've posted here before
[forum.wampserver.com]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.