using WAMP server from USB
Posted by: hamilton77 (142.222.39.---)
Date: January 21, 2010 05:09PM

Hi,

I'm new to using this software and I need to have a WAMP server properly installed on my USB key for a Perl class. On my home PC I downloaded the installer locally, then extracted contents to my USB key drive where it now sits. When i go to open the wampmanager on my home PC it works fine, i can run perl scripts in my cgi-bin folder using the [localhost] of script>.pl format. But if i take my USB key and put it in any other PC, open the wamp folder and click on wampmanager to get the tray icon up, i get an error that says "Aestan Tray Menu has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the ionconvenience."
I then try to browse to [localhost] and the wamp server homepage doesn't come up. I tried changing the port number in httpd.conf to 8080 and then browsing to [localhost] and still nothing.

Does something have to be present on the other PCs in order for me to run my WAMP server off of my USB drive?

Thanks and hope this is clear

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: using WAMP server from USB
Posted by: hamilton77 (---.cpe.mountaincable.net)
Date: January 22, 2010 03:06AM

OK i figured it out, I had to reassign the drive letter on each new system i ran the wAMP server on to match the configuration files.

Now, the only script i'm able to run is the sample script inside the apache cgi-bin folder called 'printenv'. If i access that script through a browser, it works - but if say i try and run another perl CGI script from the same location that i've copied and pasted there, such as the following:

#!c:/Perl/bin/perl.exe

print "Hello, World!\n";

it won't run, and i get a 500 Internal Server Error that says the following:

"Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, admin@localhost and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log."

When i check the error log file under apache, it says the last entry was in december of 2008, but i only downloaded it last week...

Any help at all is much appreciated..thanks for reading...

Posted by: hamilton77 (---.cpe.mountaincable.net)
Date: January 22, 2010 03:20AM

OK sorry again, figured it out...

I put the line

"print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";"

after the sh'bang in the script and it ran..

thanks for reading, cheers

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: January 22, 2010 10:20PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.