File upload problem.
Posted by: Dennis Marshall (---.central.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 29, 2014 02:12AM

I've installed Wamp 2.5.1 - apache 2.4.9 - mysql 5.6.17 -pp5.512 and Wordpress 3.9.1 on my Windows 7 SP1 computer. Host is installed and everything seems to be working, and the icon is green. The problem arises when I try to upload a theme file located on my computer. The upload fails immediately. I've used the same file on my computer to upload my theme to my real website and everything thing worked fine. My local Wordpress can upload files from the internet, but not from my computer. Can you suggest anything that could cause this problem?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: File upload problem.
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: July 29, 2014 09:55AM

Have you created a Virtual Host for your Wordpress site to run in, it's always best with WP sites.

Here's how to WAMPServer 2.5 The Homepage, Your Projects Menu and the need for Virtual Hosts

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: July 29, 2014 07:19PM

Yes, from your earlier post I had created the Virtual Host for 'MySite', and the Wordpress files were installed and are located in the 'www' directory. I run Wordpress administration from [<MySite>], so I think the Virtual HOST software is functioning correctly.

I originally installed WAMPSERVER and Wordpress without using a Virtual Hoist. I ran into the same problem with not being able to upload the theme file. When I read the forum stating the need for a Virtual Host environment, I deleted everything and started over, this time creating the Virtual Host. Everything installed properly, but when I tried to upload the theme, I experienced the same problem. I contacted Wordpress about their crypitic error message and learned that is a generic message provided when Wordpress can't describe the problem.

When you select upload a .zip file, you are presented with Windows 7 - Windows Explorer to select the file. Selecting the file puts the path and file name into the Wordpress software. As soon as you click "Upload" Wordpress immediately generates an error message. The failure seems to be occurring in the setup to transfer a file. This is the same sequence I used on my real site and it worked. On my local site it doesn't.

At this point, I don't know where else to look.

Date: July 29, 2014 08:09PM

Yes, from your earlier post I had created the Virtual Host for 'MySite', and the Wordpress files were installed and are located in the 'www' directory. I run Wordpress administration from [<MySite>], so I think the Virtual HOST software is functioning correctly.

I have no idea what you are doing, but then I guess neither do you.

Do you mean you installed WP into the \wamp\www folder and then created a Virtual Host and pointed it to \wamp\www ??

I originally installed WAMPSERVER and Wordpress without using a Virtual Hoist. I ran into the same problem with not being able to upload the theme file. When I read the forum stating the need for a Virtual Host environment, I deleted everything and started over, this time creating the Virtual Host. Everything installed properly, but when I tried to upload the theme, I experienced the same problem. I contacted Wordpress about their crypitic error message and learned that is a generic message provided when Wordpress can't describe the problem.

Did you create the virtual host ( lets say myWP1.dev ) and then install WP into that locations?

When you select upload a .zip file, you are presented with Windows 7 - Windows Explorer to select the file. Selecting the file puts the path and file name into the Wordpress software. As soon as you click "Upload" Wordpress immediately generates an error message. The failure seems to be occurring in the setup to transfer a file. This is the same sequence I used on my real site and it worked. On my local site it doesn't.

Then there is obviously something wrong with the virtual host setup.

Sorry but I have no real idea what you have actually done.

Can I suggest we organise a TeamViewer session, so I can see what you have actually done and fix any mistakes.

I am in the GMT timezone ( UK ). If you like this idea, install TeamViewer and send me a Private Message containing the TV ID and PASSWORD.

Best try and organise a specific time for us to connect, before trying to tell me the ID and PASSWORD

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2014 02:18AM by RiggsFolly.

Date: July 29, 2014 09:49PM

I've installed Teamviewer and established an account. I'm in the US Eastern timezone, four hours behind you. Pick a time that is convenient for you and I will make myself available.

Date: July 31, 2014 03:52PM

Further contact is unnecessary. I resolved this problem.

Date: July 31, 2014 04:13PM

Love to know the solution/

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.