Wamp and Windows 7
Posted by: Dingus (---.plus.com)
Date: July 25, 2014 01:13AM

I've had WAMP and XP for years without a problem. However, I just changed to Windows 7 Ultimate. It went downhill from there.

First problem was accessing localhost / 127.0.0.1 Just couldn't. Then I found out it was because IIS wasn't enabled by default on W7.
Once I enabled IIS in windows control panel at the enable/disable features, all I get is a page with a link to
[www.iis.net]

When I select localhost from WAMP using the system tray Icon I get the above link.

Any ideas guys ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wamp and Windows 7
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: July 25, 2014 08:12AM

Ok so that means your system has Microsoft IIS installed, they are doing that on later versions of Windows for some reason. If you are not intending to use it you can uninstall it, it is not an integral part of windows so its being uninstalled wont effect normal operations of windows, and if you need to install it again later, it comes as part of the standard OS so you wont need to do anything perticularly clever.

So go to Start -> Control Panel -> Programs and Features
Click the 'Turn windows features on and off' link in the left hand menu.
Wait for the list to load and then find 'Internet Information Services'

Un check the check boxes for the following items ( you may not see all of them ), and there may be others I done know about.

1. IIS
2. Web Deploy 2.0
3. MS Sql Server Reporting service.
4. BranchCache ( Windows 8.1 )

List of possible service names
http://blogs.technet.com/b/fort_sql/archive/2010/05/31/list-of-sql-server-service-names.aspx

Tutorial on how to find what ports are in use on your system and what app is using them
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/bgroth/archive/2004/11/11/256190.aspx

Windows will then have a think for a while and then remove those applications, you will probably be asked to reboot to complete the uninstalls.
Reboot anyway when the uninstalls are complete.

Then try wamp again.

Alternativeley just disable it/them.

Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services

Find IIS in the list of services.
Left Click that line and select Properties
Change the 'Startup Type' to disabled.
Ditto for the other possibilities if you see them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: July 25, 2014 09:14PM

Thanks Riggs. All done as posted, now I get 'Can't establish connection to server'.
I'm sure this is a Windows 7 problem.

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: July 25, 2014 11:13PM

What colour is the wampmanager icon?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: July 26, 2014 12:39PM

Steady on orange

Date: July 26, 2014 05:32PM

It's working. Don't know what is different, but it works.
Thanks for the help

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.