Bringing exported database into new environment
Posted by: JDomi (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 17, 2014 04:24PM

Colleagues,

I have been using WampServer for a number of years now but I am considered a newbie because I have been using it in a single environment.

I just installed WampServer into a new drive (I have not deleted the old version so I can go back and forth in case of any problems) and have multiple virtual hosts. And problems I have, I have 3 vhosts setup but I am stuck at the database piece. I am not a database guy, but I exported the database from the SQL DB from the old environment but I don't know how what to do with it and I am afraid that if I just do an import into the new environment using MyPHPAdmin I will end up with duplicates. I have read the different posts and guides in here but they assume you know at least a little about SQL and databases.

Right now, I can't even get to wp-admin for any of the environments as I get an HTTP 404 error, and MS SQL 2005 has only one instance with no users or anything, very simple, from when it was originally setup for the old environment.

Any help is appreciated.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2014 04:33PM by JDomi.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bringing exported database into new environment
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: July 17, 2014 04:46PM

Hi JDomi,

Even if you installed WAMPServer on a differnt drive you will have uninstalled the old version byt default.

Installing a new release of WAMPServer

Please answer these questions before we go any further, you had better answer the WAMP/APache/PHP/MySQL questions wtice, once for the old version and once or the new version.

[forum.wampserver.com]

When you say MS SQL 2005, do you mean Microsoft's SQL Server? Or are you just getting the name of MySQL confused?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: July 23, 2014 10:59PM

RiggsFolly,

Thanks for your help here and sorry for my late reply, I was hospitalized. Here are the answers to your questions. I had WampServer installed on drive C: and I now installed it on drive D: that's why I am saying that I could go back and forth between the two. But this is not really important because I am not planning to use the old environment. I have read the guide on your link and many other guides and I think my installation is correct as well as the 3 new vhosts. What I am trying to resolve is how to import the database that I exported from the old environment into the new environment; do I just use MyPHPAdmin? I am guessing that the reason I get the HTTP 404 error in all 3 new vhosts when I try to go to the wp-admin page is because I don't have a database?

Yes, the new environment has WAMP/Apache/PHP/MySQL, sorry for the confusion.

Best regards.

Date: July 25, 2014 09:05PM

Anybody, please?

Date: July 25, 2014 11:16PM

http 404 error [en.wikipedia.org]

what colour is your wampmanager icon

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: July 26, 2014 06:43PM

Green.

Date: July 27, 2014 08:19PM

Can I just check, are you databases MS SQL Server databases or MySQL databases?

Date: July 28, 2014 04:37PM

They are MySQL, the latest version that came with the latest WAMP installation.

Date: July 28, 2014 06:05PM

OK so all you need to do is :-

Assuming the databases are MYISAM format : -

Copy the wamp_old\bin\mysql\mysql5.4.22 (and all its subfolders) to new_wamp\bin\mysql\mysql5.4.22

Then right click the wampmanager icon -> Refresh

You should now see the OLD version of MySQL and the New version of mysql are available to you

wampmanager -> MySQL -> Version
Should show you the old version and the new

Switch to the old version by clicking on the old version number
Backup your databases using phpMyAdmin or mysqldump

Switch back to the new version of MySQL by clicking the new verison number
Restore your databases to the new version

Try your sites using the new version of MySQL if all is OK, GREAT
If no just switch back to the old version of MySQL and leave it like that.

Date: July 28, 2014 10:16PM

RiggsFolly,

Thanks for staying with me on this one.

A couple of concerns from your latest reply.

1) I am going from MySQL 5.524 to 5.6.17. Can I still do the copy of the old bin/mysql5.5.24 to the new bin/mysql5.6.17?

2) When you say "restore your databases to the new version", how exactly do I do this? I think this is what I am missing from the new environment, I just don't know how to do it, like I mentioned in my original post, I don't know much about how to handle databases

3) Going back to the old environment is not an option for me. The reason why I did a new installation of WAMP on a new drive was so that I could have a fresh environment with multiple hosts, which I couldn't do in the old version

Thanks and looking forward to your reply.

PS: I don't know why I am not getting email notifications when replies are posted on this topic.

Date: July 29, 2014 12:16AM

1) I am going from MySQL 5.524 to 5.6.17. Can I still do the copy of the old bin/mysql5.5.24 to the new bin/mysql5.6.17?

NO

WampServer can host multiple versions of Apache and/or MySQL and/or PHP
The idea is to bring forward MySQL 5.5.24 to the new install and switch to it.

So copy C:\wamp_old\bin\mysql\mysql5.5.24 to D:\wamp\bin\mysql\mysql5.5.24

Now you have access in the new WAMP install to the old MySQL version and all its databases, and the New MySQL. Restart Wampserver and you should see the 2 versions under wampmanager -> MySQL ->Version

Now you switch to MySQL5.5.24 i.e. click on the version number on the menus.
Run a backup.

Then switch to the new MySQL 5.6.17 and restore the backups. You should then have the old data restored under the new MySQL and you can forget about the old version. ( Leave it there or delete the D:\wamp\bin\mysql\mysql5.5.24 folder and all the OLD data disappears.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2014 06:45PM by RiggsFolly.

Date: August 02, 2014 09:00PM

RiggsFolly,

I will follow your steps above and report back.

Best regards.

Date: August 11, 2014 06:47PM

RiggsFolly,

I started following your steps but did get too far. After I copied the old C:\wamp_old\bin\mysql\mysql5.4.22 to D:\wamp\bin\mysql\mysql5.4.22 and switched to it I could not get anything working anymore. The WampServer icon never gets to green, only to yellow and only when I first start WampServer. After I start WampServer and try to go to phpmyadmin, for example, I get this error from MySQL:

#2002 - No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it. The server is not responding (or the local server's socket is not correctly configured).

The WampServer icon turns from yellow to red and even if I restart all of the services it stays red.

If I try to switch back to MySQL 5.6.17 I get a popup window with the following error from Aestan Tray Menu:

Could not execute menu item (internal error) [Exception] Could not perform built-in action: No service has been opened yet!

I don't know what any of the above means, so I am stuck.

Regards.

Date: August 12, 2014 11:24AM

Could not execute menu item (internal error) [Exception] Could not perform built-in action: No service has been opened yet!

I think you get this message if Apache is not running when you try to switch.

If the icon is orange then one of the services ( Apache or MySQL ) has not started. Which service is not starting?

If the wampmanager icon is not GREEN then one of the services ( Apache(wampapache)/MySQL(wampmysqld) ) has not started properly.

How to tell which service is not running if the wampmanager icon is orange.

Left click the wampmanager icon to reveal the menu-> Apache -> Service
If the Start/Resume service menu is Green then Apache IS NOT running.

Left click the wampmanager icon to reveal the menu-> MySQL -> Service
If the Start/Resume service menu is Green then MySQL IS NOT running.

If Apache is the service that is not running it is normally, but not always, because something else has captured port 80.

Now do,
Left click the wampmanager icon to reveal the menu-> Apache -> Service -> Test port 80
This will launch a command window and display some information about what, if anything is using port 80.

Whatever it is should be re-configured to not use port 80 or uninstalled if you are not using it.

If port 80 is not the problem look for errors in the appropriate error log ( use the wamp manager menus to view the error logs )

If these do not exists or show no errors then also check the Windows Event Viewer
Start -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer
And look in the 'Windows Logs' -> Application' section accessed from the menu on the left of the dialog for error messages from Apache and or MySQL.

How to Configure SKYPE so it does not require port 80 or 443
( This does not appear to be necessary on recent versions i.e. after march 2014 )

Run SKYPE
then using the menus do this:
Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Connection
Un-Check the checkbox next to 'Use port 80 and 443 as alternatives for incomming connections'
Now restart SKYPE for these changes to take effect.

If you are running Windows 8 SKYPE comes as a tiled app and this cannot ( as yet ) be configured in this way.
However if you uninstall the SKYPE app and install SKYPE in the old way, you can reconfigure it, and it works just as well.

How to Configure Team Viewer so it does not require port 80 or 443
Run TV
Extras -> Options -> Advanced -> Press the Advanced Button -> Advanced Network Connections
Check the checkbox saying [ Dont use incomming port 80 (recommended for web servers only )

If the problem is not obvious then post the errors here

Date: August 18, 2014 06:04PM

RiggsFolly,

Apache's and MySQL's Start/Resume Service menus are greyed out; I have tried to restart both services and I get the same thing.

Testing Port 80 tells me that it's being used by Apache/2.4.9 (Win64) PHP/5.5.12.

The Event Viewer shows nothing on Apache and/or MySQL.

I already had Skype using another port different than 80 or 443, and I don't have TeamViewer installed.

Just so you know, I always stop the World Wide Web Publishing Service before I start WampServer.

I have restarted the computer a few times as well at different points of the process but nothing changes.

Don't know what to do next.

Date: August 18, 2014 06:47PM

Sorry,

I made a few typos on the post telling you waht to copy where. If you didnt spot them and did exactly as I said try re-reading it I have edited it to hopefully use the correct version numbers.

If you already spotted that I was half asleep when I wrote it, than maybe you should install TeamViewer so I can have a closer look at what is actually going on.

Date: August 19, 2014 06:40PM

RiggsFolly,

No problem, I did spot them, and I really appreciate your help, half asleep or completely awake.

I installed TeamViewer 9.0 and already made the port change so that there is no conflict. Just let me know date and time when you are available to do it and I'll be ready. I am on Eastern time.

Best Regards.

Date: August 19, 2014 07:12PM

We can so it now if you like.

Send me a Private message with the ID and PASSWORD, dont post it here as that is not private.

Date: August 19, 2014 07:24PM

RiggsFolly,

PM sent.

Thank you.

[SOLVED] Re: Bringing exported database into new environment
Date: August 19, 2014 11:08PM

Colleagues,

I want to publicly thank RiggsFolly for helping me in resolving this issue. At the end, it was a bad WampServer installation but we couldn't pinpoint exactly what caused it. So, reinstalling WampServer and a couple of hours of his time through TeamViewer resolved the problem.

Now, on to resolving my WordPress issues smiling smiley

Best regards.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.